Why did my young chicken quit laying?

asteria819

Chirping
May 2, 2019
TN
We have a 22 week old Austrawhite who started laying in the middle of August. She laid a couple of eggs, but has stopped since. I have searched my yard high and low for her eggs but none are to be found anywhere. I know it's been hot, but her sister who is the same age is laying her eggs just fine as well as my ISA Brown's.
Is there a reason why she would only lay a few eggs and then stop? Her comb is big and red and she squats and everything. No sign of illness anywhere.

I think it still could be a hidden best that you haven't found. What is the nest situation in the coop? Is she lower in pecking order? Do you have a run to lock them in until late in the day?

I think it still could be a hidden best that you haven't found. What is the nest situation in the coop? Is she lower in pecking order? Do you have a run to lock them in until late in the day?
She is definitely near the top of pecking order. There are 4 nesting boxes, although the other ones all take turnings laying in the same one lol. We do have a roomy run to lock them in, it’s just been so hot that I feel bad locking them in despite there being plenty of shade

She is definitely near the top of pecking order. There are 4 nesting boxes, although the other ones all take turnings laying in the same one lol. We do have a roomy run to lock them in, it’s just been so hot that I feel bad locking them in despite there being plenty of shade
I would lock them in until you can prove she's laying or not.

I would lock them in until you can prove she's laying or not.
This^^^

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom