Why did our chicken suddenly die?

sherimitchell

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 1, 2013
We came home today and found one of our hens dead. She was in one of the nesting boxes. I can't see anything wrong with her - I believe that it may have happened last night - not sure - we have been at the county fair all week coming and going and not at home as much. She was about 1 1/2 old and seemed very healthy. I didn't notice any strange droppings and I checked her for mites. We have the other chickens out of the coop right now but are planning on checking them. Poor Annabelle was my daughter's pet and she will be missed. Any information that you have would be helpful.

Random and sudden deaths are not uncommon in chickens. One day they will seem healthy, the next day they are dead. However the fact you found her dead in the nesting box makes me wonder if egg binding might be the culprit. Egg binding is fairly common among birds of her age.

Welcome to BYC. Sorry for your loss. I agree that it could have been egg binding. Chickens can die from all sorts of things, from heart infections, to liver or kidney disease. Crop problems or other digestive problems such as impacted crop or impacted gizzard may show symptoms beforehand. Worms and mites also can kill. In most states you can get a necropsy done by your state vet to help tell the reason for death.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom