Why did she lay her egg in the coop?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lisa920, Sep 14, 2016.

1. lisa920

lisa920 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2016
    Virginia
    I have four pullets that have been laying for two months now. Except for them laying earlier than I expected and I didn't have nest boxes out, they have laid consistently in the boxes. Today I found an egg in the coop, I'm not sure why. They have two boxes but always use only one of them. Thoughts??

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Where in the coop? In the middle of the floor? Or in a corner like a floor nest? Hens like to lay where others lay and often will favor a certain nestbox. Adding ceramic eggs to all nestboxes can spread out the laying, and show your hens where it's safe to lay. Hens will occasionally drop an egg, especially if startled, so that could have been why you had a floor egg.

3. lisa920

lisa920 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2016
    Virginia
    It was in a corner. They all usually lay in the boxes, I have had a fake egg inside from day one. Hopefully it won't happen again. I'm wondering if the box they all like was full of birds that caused her to do that, I have seen two at a time in there.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That's definitely could have happened, I've had 4 hens in a box at a time, and I've had ducks and chickens in the same box. Everyone want the same box and I suppose if you have to wait long enough you might just drop your egg while waiting, at least she went in the corner to do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by