Why did someone tell me that I have too many roo's???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chica Lady, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Chica Lady

Chica Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Taylors, SC
    My question is "does having too many roos keep them from laying eggs"?

They only sleep in the coop. They free range every day, all day. They get feed 2X a day. Everyone lives in harmony, except for the occasional minor scuffle. The single hen does give me eggs, but likes to go broody AAAALLLLLOOOOOOOTTTTTT.

Total 7 male, and 10 female.
    List of who sleeps in the coop
    TOTAL AGE SEX Size
    4 31 w pull std
    4 31 w roo std
    1 1 1/2 yr hen game
    1 1 1/2 yr roo std
    1 30 w roo banty
    2 30 w pull banty
    2 19 w pull std
    1 19 w roo std
    1 14 w F??? Pekin Duck

Here is my coop. Nest boxes have been added since this pic was taken.
    [​IMG]

Here are my chickens
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    I don't think it will KEEP them from laying, but it could add stress to the girls having that many suiters. And they will probably get bald backs from being mounted often.

3. Chica Lady

Mar 31, 2012
    Taylors, SC
    Just saw the big roo try to jump on one of the 19 week pullets. Haven't seen any action from any of the younger roos in a while. Everyone has all their feathers

4. Chica Lady

Mar 31, 2012
    Taylors, SC
    What can I do to get them to start laying??? Still no eggs, not even from the older hen that does lay.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  5. 6littlechicks

6littlechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    Morgantown, PA
    I have also heard that to many roos can cause stress for the girls and they can stop laying from any amount of stress. I believe they say you should have at least 5 female per roo, at least. I hope they start laying for you soon. I'm waiting on eggs to.

6. Chica Lady

Mar 31, 2012
    Taylors, SC
    my girls are 32 weeks old today. and what about banties? when do they start laying? I have a couple banties that are 31 weeks old.

7. coffeenutdesign

coffeenutdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2012
    Texas
    One thing to also consider is the added expense of feeding a roo. Roosters eat a LOT, more than hens and don't give you food back in return. I think the general consensus is 10-12 hens per rooster if possible.

8. coffeenutdesign

coffeenutdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2012
    Texas
    and are you sure they are not laying? If they free range all day, they might be hiding some somewhere.

9. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Are you sure about this? I find my rooster eat a considerable amount LESS than my hens. The hens eat a lot as they need the energy for the eggs.

I don't think its a good idea to have that many roosters though. I would get rid of a few - if you are not going to eat them. I find too many roosters will often chase the hens too much and cause some fuss and scuffles with unsettles the hens. I like my birds to be peaceful in a stable flock. I have 7 hens and 2 roosters at the moments and this works fine for me.

Also the amount of roosters the OP has means that the hens will get tired form all that mating and may suffer by loss of feathers and stress.

10. adgcountrygirl

adgcountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

My first flock was a straight run flock that I adopted. I had 6 roos and 5 hens. It is not an issue until the hens are old enough to breed. The more mature the hens get, the more agressive some of the roos will get. I re-homed as many roos as I could. You WILL eventually have to either get rid of some roos or get more hens. I tend to like having 1 male for 10 females.

As for the tough choices you will have to make... watch your flock for awhile before you make your final decisions. Do you like to free range your flock? You might want to keep the rooster that is always looking around while everyone else is dust bathing. Will they spend alot of time in the coop and run? You might want to keep the rooster that is more gentle. It won't be easy because it will have to be what's best for you and your flock. Good luck!!!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by