1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why did the chicken cross the road?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JackieK318, Sep 5, 2007.

1. JackieK318

JackieK318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    I adopted a rooster and three hens on Saturday. They hang out in the front 1/4 acre while the original flock gets the back 4 acres. I had a neighbor come by last night telling me one of my chickens was in the road today. I work all day, so I told her thanks and I would keep and eye on the chickens. Today I took the day off (not just for chicken purposes - I'm not that crazy) and sure enough, there goes that GD rooster out in the front yard close to the street. This happens 3 times and I shoo him back to the yard. I look up this evening to see him in the middle of the road! I rush out there and shoo him back and I chase him around the yard for a bit so he knows the road is mine and not his. My chickens have never ever had any desire to go into the street or neighbors' yards. What on earth is this guy trying to do?! Is he just trying to stake claim on some land for him and his women? I giving the new family 1/4 not enough?

2. ali

ali Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2007
    newalla, ok
    what kind of rooster is he? i have a rir and before i got him i noticed that rir roos like it by the road so i was prepared alittle. maybe it's cause they LOVE to be seen, they are the pretty boys, gotta strut you know. maybe someone else has a more scientific answer good luck! TO GET TO THE OTHER SIDE.....[​IMG]

3. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    Chickflick's EE Roo visited me the other day. It was a booty call. He saw my hens in the front yard!!
    My Roo Sheriff Earl caught him in the act with Sally and ran him off!!!
    My chickens and Chickflicks cover alot more ground than 1/4. If I had to guess I would say about 3 to 5 acres when free ranging. Probably about the size of the property your other flock uses. Since chickens don't understand property lines and roads I would say yes, that he is staking a claim for more land for his women!!!!

4. JackieK318

JackieK318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    I kept him in the coop today with his women. They're bad influences on my flock! I feel horrible keeping him cooped up, but I'd really feel horrible if he were a rooster cake in the road. He's an Australorp and thinks he's the stud. I don't think our neighbor across the street has chickens and don't think she'd mind my chickens over there, but I don't want them to cross the road all the time! Argh! My flock of 16 roams the acre around the house and hasn't really ventured that far that I know of. He's just making me nervous though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by