Why Did They Stop??????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Inmanfarm, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Inmanfarm

Inmanfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2010
    Oakland County, Michigan
    I Have 4 Isa Browns And They All Of Sudden Stop Laying (10 Days Ago). They Are 1 1/2 Years Old, They Have Plenty Of Water, No Change In Diet And No Change In Coop Materials. I Just Dont Understand What Happend. The Weather Here Has Been Very Warm To Hot, But Its Been Cool At Night. I Would Think That One Was Sick If She Quit Laying But They All Stopped At The Same Time (like Over Night:( ). There Hasn't Been Any New Anmails Interduced To Them To Cause Any Kind Of Stress. Thanks, Worried Dad

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

At about 18 months old, they start their first big molt. During that time, they usually stop laying for a period.

3. Inmanfarm

Mar 22, 2010
    Oakland County, Michigan
    Thanks!!!!! Is There Different Signs I Should Look For When They Molt?

4. Inmanfarm

Mar 22, 2010
    Oakland County, Michigan
    Or What Signs Should I Look For.

5. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    When ours go into a molt, they seem a bit out of sorts for a day or so, then you start finding feathers ALL OVER.
    Staying in the nest overnight is a clue.
    But....
    Are you sure you don't have an egg eater or varmint stealing eggs? I don't think there would be a sudden abrupt halt with molts. They might stop within a week, but all on the same day??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by