Why didn't anyone warn me about the meat bird smell?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Fowl_Odor002, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Fowl_Odor002

Fowl_Odor002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Mostly Here
    So after a few shots of $5.99 brandy and a diet pepsi chaser, I decided that we were raising our very own organic meat birds for thanksgiving.
    After all, I did such a good job raising a batch of layer pullets ealier this year.

One month into the ordeal and I am seriously looking forward to week number 8.

With all the postings about Cornish Cross in the entire world wide web

Why

Oh

Why

....didn't anyone warn me about the smell.

2. TDM

TDM Chillin' With My Peeps

As a processor, I have found the smell is dependent on how they are raised.

3. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Really? I was thinking about that for next summer. Maybe I shouldn't....

4. BasicallyHeather

BasicallyHeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Lowellville, Ohio
    Don't drink and chicken, people!

[​IMG]

5. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Put a teeny bit of dish soap in the scald water, and rinse them once they come out, and they shouldn't smell so bad. I remember the smell when my dad did them. WHEW! I did this when I did my own, and they didn't stink nearly so bad. Anecdotal only, could've been food or something else - I mean we're talking 40 years between experiences - but that's what happened for me.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think the OP is referring to the poop smell,? not processing. And sorry, but everything I've read about cornish cross go on and on about how much they poop. Do you have a tractor or other way to move them around? Spreading it around helps with the smell, as do lot of shavings.

7. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:Derrr.. you're absolutely right.

8. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Quote:Food in..............'food' out.

Deb

9. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I often warn the Foo-Foo crowd who decide to puff all up and decide to raise some meat birds. I tell them to be prepared to do a little work and keep the pens clean and the tractor if they use one to move it often. Yes Cornish X don't make little Silkie poops, they make man size chicken turds the size your dog would envy LOL. These factors alone are enough to usually make them give up the whole idea, as raising Cornish X meat birds takes just a little common sense and a little bit more work

As for the processing smell, I cage them for 12hrs + to empty their crops and hose them down with a jet spray nozzle while in the cages. I do put a tiny drop of dawn in the scald water, other than that I don't really notice a smell at all. Like I said Cornish ain't your Momma's Silkie LOL.

10. ScottyHOMEy

ScottyHOMEy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Waldo County, Maine
    You've chosen to raise a strain of chicken noted for two things . . . its efficiency in converting feed to meat and its remarkable alimentary output. The reward is not free. It takes some work beyond what is required for the good care of laying or DP birds.

Same rule applies, though. Clean the coop before it starts to stink, and it won't stink. Works for layers and meaties. Just the meaties require it more often. Much more often.

Nature of the beast, but ain't they some tasty!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by