Why didn't anyone warn me ducks are so messy??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Alaska animal lover, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Alaska animal lover

Alaska animal lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Palmer, Alaska
    Just kidding! Everyone warned me.[​IMG]
    I got two female Khaki Campbells. They are so cute, but man they can make a mess!
    I'm glad I took everyones advice about not putting them with my chicks.
    They were with chicks at the hatchery, and when they saw my new EE's they really wanted to be with them! They were trying to squeeze out of the kennel to get to them. I put them in there to see what they would do and they just snuggled right up with them under the light.[​IMG]
    I had to put the EE brooder in another room and now the ducklings seem to be okay with just one another.
    I will post a pic of one in a minute!

2. Alaska animal lover

Alaska animal lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Palmer, Alaska
    One of my EE chicks
    [​IMG]

One of my new girls,
    [​IMG]

3. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    They are both so cute. I know that ducks are messy, but they are worth it to me. I have Runner ducks and I just love to sit back and watch them play in the water. Good luck with your new babies.

Dorothy

4. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    They are messy but so cute!!! I love my duckies so much. They are such characters.

5. dehave

dehave Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2008
    Yeah, my brooder had wire sides and they were able to poop all over my walls. Fun. Now they are outside and sooo much happier.

What I wonder is, are goslings as messy as ducklings, and bigger? I really would like to get a couple but don't know if my bathroom could take it.

6. moenmitz

moenmitz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Gosling= poop shooting duck x4...they poop like dogs, only with amazing frequency. I would be curious to measure the volume of poop to come out of something so small-it is really phenomenal quantities of projectile poop. My ducks are messy too, but they dont hold a candle to my geese! That said, they are REALLY cute...and the way they come lumbering across the pen to greet me in the morning and flap around hysterically like excited little kids when I fill their wading bowl...well, makes it all worth it.

7. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    In the brooder my goslings pooped more, but the ducklings made a bigger mess with the water.

8. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I love my ducks although you are right, messy, messy, messy! They are so cute though! [​IMG]

9. jandmeg07

jandmeg07 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Cheboygan, MI
    I'm glad it's not just my ducks! [​IMG] They are the messiest animal I've ever had by far, but everyone is right, so worth it. They're so much fun to watch! I wish they were a little bit more comfortable with people. Is that pretty common? I've read a few posts that mention that. They get excited when I bring them fresh water, but they run away if they think they're going to be touched.

10. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    Quote:I've read other's posts that say their ducks are friendly and snuggly, but I think that's the exception rather than the rule. Mine will knock each other over trying to get treats from my hand, but if I try to reach out and touch them they run like they're being murdered. And I have handled mine continuously since they were little. I still have to pick them up to get them in and out of their temporary holding pen and their swimming pool but they hate it, even when they are begging to get out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by