Why didn't anyone warn me that brand new chicks are adorable?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TheHalfWayCoop, Dec 8, 2011.

1. TheHalfWayCoop

TheHalfWayCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Campbellville Ontario
    We just had three silkie babies hatch, one is all fluffed out now, and I have to say 1) I've never seen a brand new chick before, so I'm surprised how tiny they are and 2) I can see this becoming a problem as I will want to experience this fluffy butt adorableness over and over and over and over!!! They are the sweetest things ever!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And now I can see how chicken math works... we bought four chicks in May... one ended up being a roo, which is fine. I bought four more in October to bring in different colouring (these are all whites, ours are patridge and buff), then the original three went broody, so we let them sit on the eggs, and we end up with three babies and four more waiting to hatch... so 4+4+3 = [​IMG] Can't wait to see where we are next year!!! [​IMG]

2. Peachesbabychick

Peachesbabychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats! Chickens are so addictive aren't they? Have fun!

You should consider getting some orpington's! They are SO precious, big and fluffy and sweet.

3. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    You came to the wrong place if you want someone to discourage you from getting chicks. Pretty much everyone here has succumbed to Chicken Math.

4. carolsmith7878

carolsmith7878 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Versailles, MO
    Yep... It's all over for you now. I have 3 groups of 7 chickens, that is not 21 chickens. It is only 7, just in 3 groups. [​IMG]

You gots the chicken bugg. [​IMG]

5. TheHalfWayCoop

TheHalfWayCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Campbellville Ontario
    Quote:[​IMG]

I love that logic, I think that's what I'll tell DH from now on... we'll get one more (chicken math!) and then I'll just keep telling him 'but we only have three groups of four...' [​IMG] [​IMG] and see how that goes. It'll probably go over his head and he'll end up thinking 'oh... it seemed like more... oh well...' and since he already thought we had 'more' we'd then have to go and get some [​IMG] This is only our banty flock, once we move to the farm in February we're going to start a standard one... and I asked Santa for an incubator for Christmas this year [​IMG] I think DH is afraid to move, he sees what's coming [​IMG]

6. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

hahaha good luck on stopping. [​IMG] i just put away my bator after hatching 30 eggs and then a month ago brought it back out because i couldnt stand not having baby chicks hatching!!! haha [​IMG] its not something u can just stop!! lol [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    You should definitely NOT get any more chickens - until you build a bigger coop and bigger run and.... okay go ahead and get them most will be roosters and you'll have to rehome them and then you'll have plenty of space for the remaining hens - chicks are definitely addictive! I'm fighting the urge to get more. Must fight the urge. Must fight the urge...

8. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Silkies are bantams, so technically they count as half a chicken anyway.......... 2 bantams=1 standard

9. Cremesoda34

Cremesoda34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2011
    logansport ,indiana
    I am in love with our silkies and our cochins. They give me something to look forward to every day. I don't mind going out in the snow and cold just to visit them . chickens are the best !

10. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh, now you've done it! You went and got chick fever! [​IMG]

I have it too! [​IMG] I just hatched out 12 bantams (3 polish and 9 cochins) and they are the sweetest, cutest little things ever! I am in LOVE! [​IMG] I just set by the brooder and watch them and talk to them and feed them from my hand......This is the friendliest batch I've ever hatched! They all just jump right on my hand.......

Happy Holidays and enjoy those babies!

Sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by