why didnt you guys tell me how cool candling is?!?!?!

sdshoars

Songster
11 Years
May 12, 2008
Texas
i candled my eggs last night, at 9 days. that is the COOLEST thing i have ever seen!!! i set 9 of my own eggs on dec. 29th, and all but two of them were refridgerated... i had to throw out three of them, two had blood rings, one wasn't fertile, and i saw six little chickies swimming in the other eggs. seeing those little guys swimming around in there eggs was awesome!!! seriously!!! i kept telling dh how cool it was that i helped make the little life in the eggs, and he started laughing at me... he said what in the world are you gonna think when the baby gets here in august?!

we were keeping the fun all to ourselves! MwaHaaHaaHaaa!

isn't it amazing! i could stare at them everyday!

August is gonna be amazing, maybe even a little more!
wink.png

keeping all the fun to yourself jayne?!?! how dare you!
wink.png

yeah, then i can actually claim i made it, instead of just helped, lol!

Quote:
i still have no idea. you said you could claim you made it (the baby), not just helped. it reminded me of the infamous 'Cousin Eddie' from National Lampoon's 'Vacation' series.

Eddie: I don't know why they call this stuff hamburger helper. It does just fine by itself, huh? I like it better than tuna helper myself, don't you, Clark?
Clark: You're the gourmet around here, Eddie.

edited because i chopped Eddie's name in half!

Last edited:
I am a newbie & know nothing, so NOBOBY should follow my example... I will say that I have read my eyeballs out, asked questions, gotten advice, and followed through with what the pros suggest on EVERYTHING, with one exception.

Candling.

I (and my 2 little girls) are mesmerized, enthralled, absolutely OBSESSED with it... I don't do it every day, but I know I probably do it "too often". I am quick & gentle, & my eggs seem to be developing very well, BUT I have candled about every 2 or 3 days.

The way I look at it is: I am super quick with my turns/water additions; temp & humidity has been surprisingly stable. AND Momma Hen gets off the nest once/day (other than last 3 days) to eat/drink/poop etc., SOOOO... if I take 4 or 5 minutes out to candle every couple days, wouldn't that be similar? And tell myself that I betcha she does it for a biological REASON (aside from HER needs)that benefits the eggies; cooldown and/or ventilation????

Or maybe candling is just a dangerous "Sub-Addiction" of the whole chicken thing, and like all addicts am just doing a GREAT job of rationalization...

Back
Top Bottom