Why Different Colors?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mossy_oak23, Nov 3, 2009.

1. mossy_oak23

mossy_oak23 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    I am VERY new to raising chickens but I have 6 crosses between cornish and araucana and 3 of them are jet black, 1 orange, 1 black with brown, and one almost a grey with brown. If they are all the same cross between the breeds why would they have such a vast range of color?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They are probably a big range of colors because white can hide other colors. Chicks from the same two parents can be different colors even.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Colour and breed are not synonymous--almost every every breed comes in many colours, and most colours/patterns come in multiple breeds.

Are these birds full or half siblings, or simply the same cross, but not related?

4. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Another thing to take into consideration is the Araucana comment, say if they came from a hatchery they're probably EE's which being crosses may throw a lot of colors and never breed true. Crossing them over a cornish could for sure throw a variety of coloration's from the genetics in the EE.

5. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:Post pictures of the parents and the offspring.

Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by