Why do a lot of people give their chickens "little old lady" names?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Shannon33, May 17, 2011.

1. Shannon33

Shannon33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I am NOT judging because I do it too sometimes [​IMG]
    I am just wondering how this all started.
    And my apologies to anyone who has a "little old lady" name, no offense is meant, and besides, a lot of them are quite lovely [​IMG]

2. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Chickens are frumpy and fussy? [​IMG] I have no idea. But I have an Anne, Catharine, Jane, Rosalind, etc.

3. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    All of my girls have old lady names ( except chuck who was formerly Dorothy. She is a hen, I don't know how she came to be called chuck.) it just seems traditional. Lucy, darla, Agnes, midge, chuck, Peggy, Priscilla, and prudence. Plus the new roo Petey!

4. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Just as humans, chooks also have their grumpy ladies. I must admit I do love the "little old lady" names, though names such as Cluckchick or Bigchick (no offence intended to anyone who favors the name being used a an example), sounds just like a old man's beard you hasn't been washed. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  5. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

LOL....just the opposite here. Only the roos get names unless the hen does something to earn her name. [​IMG]
    And, NO. My roosters do NOT have little old lady names. [​IMG]

6. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I like the old lady names. I have a few, they fit. I'm all over the map with names tho'. I choose names for all kinds of reasons, color, behavior as a chick, etc.

7. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    I guess i's a tradition back from the old days. I'm a little more creative, but my mom has a good list of "chicken names" gleaned from the local rural cemetery:

Ethel
    Irene
    Alta
    Elmira
    Adelaide
    Myrtle
    Maud(e)
    Hazel
    Calpurnia
    Hattie
    Henrietta
    Nellie
    Hortense
    Doris

She has more, but this is all I remember

8. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Well, I don't name mine common names like Jennifer or Stephanie because I know people with those names. I don't know anyone named Ethel or Bertha. Most of mine end up with names like Lemonhead, Lightning or Shadow anyway since an 8 year old names them. But I do have a roo named Mike after the guy I got him from. [​IMG]

Besides, those "old" names are more fun.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  9. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    Well, if you are naming hens, then you HAVE to have one called Henrietta. And it sort of escalates from there I think. A chicken named Jessica would be just odd! [​IMG]

10. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    really varied here I have a willie and kate and chuck and princess and queenie I also have fragile and pooky and mookie and stinkie this is what happens when grandkids name birds [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by