Why do all the other chicks pick on one individual chick!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stormylady, Feb 9, 2009.

1. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I have 19 one week old chicks mostly Ameraucanas and light brahmas Mostly the Am. Doing the picking, but I have two each of Cal. white,two Black Australorpes,2 buff Orps. and 2Golden sexlinks, the problem is that they pick on just one of the Australorpes which is breaking my heart because she is so calm, everything seems normal with her, she don't act sick she is eating and pooing and playing but it seems as if they are always seeking her out and pulling on her butt fuzz and on her neck why and how do i stop them, she is such a sweetie she lets you pick her up, and cuddle with her, she doesn't fight you to get down, like I said all seems normal, but they are just mean too her!
    Is there anything I can do to help her without taking her out of the group. Thanks for the advice! Sandy
    OH i also checked her out very closely and she doesn't seem to have anything on her that they would be pecking at?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Are they epcking her to the point of bleeding? She is probably being picked on because she doesn't defend herself. The chicken world is a harsh one.

3. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    No she is not bleeding, but you are right she doesn't fight them at all she just takes it. I think they are mostly just pulling on her. I just feel so badly for her.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

If she isn't bleeding, she will be ok. I have a whole flock picking on 4 14 week olds.... But they are learning how to run fast and sometimes fight back. Keep an eye on her and she if she may be getting it. She may just be a slow learner. Whenever I see it happen, I shoo them away from the babies.

5. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    thankyou, I hope she will be alright, She is such a nice chick much friendlier than the others, well there all pretty nice but she is the best as far as wanting attention. I will watch very closely as I have been, these are my first chicks ever so Im still learning, Geez there is alot to learn too! Seems like they do something new everyday. Well thanks again Sandy

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Stormy, when my chicks were small there was one that got pecked on regularly. She's my runt and is half blind.
    I applied pine tar to the area of her body they liked to peck the most, right in front of her tail feathers. The others quickly decided that pecking wasn't worth getting a taste of that nasty stuff.
    Pine tar is stinky, sticky and messy, but it worked.
    If they peck her to the point of drawing blood, YOU MUST REMOVE HER. The sight of blood will cause them to peck her even more and they can peck her to death.

7. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    thankyou gritsar, I am watching her very closely, and so far no blood thank goodness, but I will take her out if they really start in on her worse, or do any damage to her. If it continues much longer i will go and get the stop pecking stuff, tar. Im just kinda hoping that she will start to defend herself at least alittle! She is not the smallest one in the brooder but they don't mess with him (smallest), go figure?
    Thanks again for the input i can use all the info i can get:confused:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by