Why do candled eggs look wierd? With pic!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Staciaw755, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Staciaw755

Staciaw755 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2013
    N. Idaho
    can anyone tell me what's going on with my eggs ? Candled Silkie eggs today ( day 7 ) and this is what they look like. Is this a detached egg cell or??
    [​IMG]

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

The air cell is in the wrong spot, but, if you incubate it upright, it might still develop and hatch.

Were these eggs shipped?

3. Staciaw755

Staciaw755 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2013
    N. Idaho
    Yes they were shipped cross country. It's weird though because we put 10 under my hen and all look good but have 5 in a incubator and 2 under a different hen and they are all looking like this. So we should incubate up right? Should we still have in turner? They are in a brinsea mini so we would have to figure a way to stand up right

4. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I think that there is a shipped egg thread..... Look about in the incubation section for any active thread and ask that question again.

I have only incubated local eggs, so I am just trying to remember what I have read, since I want to try shipped eggs at some point.

Point is, I have no first hand experience, I would hate to steer you wrong.

But I would guess that I would put them in a cut up egg carton to get them to stand up, not use the egg turner.

You will NOT have to open the incubator to turn the eggs, you will take a book, and put it under the back of the incubator, and then some hours later, put the book under the front of the incubator, and then repeat. See? The book makes the entire incubator tilt back or forward, and that will move the eggs enough that the chick develops just fine.

That part I know. :lol:

But still try to find a shipped egg thread and read it through for more pointers..... Detached air cells is a very common problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by