1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why do chickens refuse to eat rolli pollies?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Urbanfarmerkc, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Urbanfarmerkc

Urbanfarmerkc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Raytown, MO (BY KCMO)
    I was curious why my chickens will eat most every bug but avoid some (the little brown) beetles and won't even touch a rolli pollie. Any ideas?

Dave

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Quote:Good question. I wonder as well...

3. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    Although most of my chickens seem to avoid these, I do have a couple of hens that will eat rolly pollies. If only they would potato beetles and bean beetles!

4. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    too crunchy...[​IMG]

5. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Rollie Pollies are a terrestrial arthropod and not true insects they are better known as a Pill Bug or Sow Bug. As to why chickens won't eat them is IMO because they could tend to stick in chickens throats because of their exoskeleton.

6. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Mine eat them all the time and have no issues. The question I have is why mine don't like worms!! [​IMG]

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I'm with hencackle - I'd [​IMG] my girls if only they'd eat potato bugs [​IMG] At least rollypollies don't bother anyone/anything.

8. TarainNC

TarainNC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2011
    Rollie Pollies do bother the bok choi( chinese cabbage in my garden. I throw the bugs and the holey cabbage leaves over the fence to my chickens and they seem to like them.

9. CartierChicken

CartierChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Stockholm, Sweden
    What about slugs and snails. I was told they would eat these, but my birds show no interest in them what so ever.

10. swmalone

swmalone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Northern Utah
    I'm just happy mine go nuts for the grasshoppers. I spray the little grasshoppers with an insecticidal soap which takes care of those ones, but it doesn't work on the bigger ones so when I let the chickens out they hunt for them. When they are in the coop I catch the larger grasshoppers and feed them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by