why do chickens rub their face on the ground?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by flyppr2002, May 1, 2011.

1. flyppr2002

flyppr2002 New Egg

May 1, 2011
    My Rhode Island Red died today and right before he did he was rubbing his face on the ground. I wonder if this was a symptom. He'd been acting quiet lately, hasn't been crowing for a couple weeks and just fell over and died.

2. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Cant say I could give you a definate but it sounds like he had an issue . Unless they are dustin they generally dont rub their face on the ground.

Sorry for your loss.

3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Had you checked him for mites or lice. If they get too bad they can kill them and they could be shaking their heads or rubbing them to help with the itchiing.
    sharon

4. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I dont know if this is the same but, everytime mine eat, they wipe their beaks on the ground like wiping their faces.

5. Kathleen1115

Kathleen1115 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2011
    Mine wipe their faces on the ground when they've been eating, especially when I give them yogurt.

6. alhanse77

alhanse77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Rexburg, ID
    It is a behavior called bill-wipe that most birds do to clean their beaks. Wild birds wipe their bills on tree branches.

7. Snegurochka

Snegurochka Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Maybe he had a cold and was wiping his nose. I wouldn't necessarily say it was a symptom of whatever he had (unless it was his head he was rubbing and not his beak).

8. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    He was most likely cleaning his bill of who knows what maybe a discharge I mean could be anything that he did not want on his bill. It is normal sick or not sick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by