why do chickens take eachothers tail feathers out?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Loretta212, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Loretta212

Loretta212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    i have 10 chickens 2 mature hens, 2 hens not laying yet and 6 young roos (not crowing yet) they have all been getting along just fine. this morning when we went out to feed them 3 of the roos had a lot of tail feathers missing this is not somthing that has happened before. what would make this happen? one is missing almost all of his tail feathers

2. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    How old are the roos? to many roos can definitely be a cause for feather picking. 6 is a lot of roosters. How big is your coop and run.

3. Loretta212

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    i wish i had the dememsions for you we have a pretty good section of our yard fenced in for them and i have 9 nesting boxes in a coop that is on the medium size maybe the roos are starting to mature?? would that make them jerks?!

4. Loretta212

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    i also just found out that i had so many roos i had the chicks from a month old and wasnt sure what they all were i am going to be getting rid of them (most likley eating them) so i will onlyhave 4 chickens then

5. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    yes they start maturing at 16-20 weeks. I've a bunch of wyandotte roosters that have been trouble. I also have a huge coop and run. Roosters can just be jerks [​IMG] especially if they are a more aggressive breed. I'd get rid of the extra roosters before they bald your hens.

6. Loretta212

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    i just went in the coop and saw that the roosting spots all came out of the wall wonder if there was a battle for roosting spot? they are EEs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by