Why do chicks like treats so much?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chocobo, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Chocobo

Chocobo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    This may be a silly question. But why do chicks go CRAZY for treats?
    I have started feeding them some mashed up boiled egg and plain yogurt and watching them you'd think I'd never fed them before!
    Why don't they go equally crazy for regular food?
    Is it just that it's different?
    Purely a taste thing?
    I thought maybe it was because egg and yogurt are so high in protein but I've read here that they go equally crazy for sunflower seeds and other thinks that are more carbohydrate rich.

P.S. How do I feed them yogurt without them getting it all over themselves?!

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

It is impossible to feed them yoghurt without them getting it all over themselves. Can't be done. Just live with it. [​IMG]

Why does any youngster like treats?!?!?! It's new, it has a different taste and texture, and they're descended from velociraptors. [​IMG]

3. Chocobo

Chocobo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Quote:Maybe a better question then is how do I clean them up afterwards? Or should I just let them make a mess and preen themselves clean?

4. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    I never cleaned my chicks off unless it was really bad, then I just took a damp cloth or paper towel and wiped them down. As far as my adult flock goes, I never clean them off, they do a pretty good job themselves.

5. Rachy

Rachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    UK
    I just fed my 2 weeks old chicks mealworms, it was hilarious, like American football for chicks! [​IMG]

They do love their little treats [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  6. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Wouldn't you go crazy happy if you got to eat something other than say a plain cheeseburger every single day?
    All my chickens of various ages just go nutty for scrambled eggs, it's so cool to watch. [​IMG]

7. MarinMama

MarinMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    wait until you start giving them earthworms...so hilarious. they run with them dangling from their beak with the rest of the flock chasing them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by