why do companys sell start/grow

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jk47, Feb 15, 2015.

1. jk47

jk47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2013
    CA
    I looked at a bag of start/grow and a bag of grower it was close to the same thing. I think chicks need a real starter feed to grow to reach their full potential. With a 20% ration instead of a 18% ration and some how they charge $22 for the start and grow versus $18 for the chick starter I buy

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I’ll comment on your question at the end but you brought up a point that interests me so I’ll spend most of my post on that. Sorry in advance for the hijack.

I’ve seen chicks raised different ways and fed different things at different stages of their life. How you feed them can make a difference in their reaching their full potential, but different people have different opinions of what that full potential should be. If you are raising them for show you feed them a high protein diet so they grow extra big. Some people have special supplements to their diet also, like drizzling a bit of oil on their feed to help the feathers grow shiny.

If you are raising them for meat you feed them differently. Whether they are broilers or dual purpose makes a difference in that too.

The commercial egg laying operations who make their money when the laying hens reach a certain full potential about health and laying eggs (obviously if a hen is not healthy she won’t lay to her potential) feed a fairly high protein feed for the first month to help them feather out faster, drop back to a lower protein Grower until around three months, then drop to an even lower protein Developer until they switch to a slightly higher percentage Layer. This regulates how fast her body grows relative to how fast her body matures and puts her in position to reach her full potential for egg laying. Of course these are the hybrid egg-laying hens so that makes a difference too. Dual purpose hens might do better on a different regimen.

If you free range or feed them treats, you upset the balance depending on what they eat and how large a portion of their daily intake is from foraging and treats. My broody hens especially like to take their chicks out foraging instead of spending all day around the feeder. Who knows what percentage protein they wind up with? Personally I like mine to forage but by doing so I lose control over precise measurement of what they actually eat. Mine still turn out fine for what I want.

Then you have mixed age flocks where you may not be able to segregate which chicken eats what so you feed a compromise.

Once you define what you mean by full potential, I think it helps to match the chicken, your goals, and the feed to help reach that. But if can be different for different people.

The difference in the price of feed is partly dependent on the ingredients, but it is also dependent on the market. You’d think that the higher percent protein feed would cost more, but maybe they mass produce the 20% while the 18% is a more limited run? I’ve noticed around here the 16% Layer with extra calcium is about $0.50 more per 50 pound bag than the 15% Developer. The only real difference is the protein and calcium, both of which would make you think the Layer would cost more. Market forces set the price. They are going to charge as much as they can and still grab market share to maximize profits, that’s the business they are in, but there is probably something in the logistics of producing a more limited run that increases the costs other than just the ingredients in the feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by