Why do eggs "quit"?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DerbyChook, Aug 13, 2010.

1. DerbyChook

DerbyChook Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    I just candled on day seven and 1/2 of my 10 eggs were quitters [​IMG] Of the five remaining, I would only bet money on one being good. That one, I saw lots of veins and a moving embryo. The others have darker shells and I can't really see much, plus I am inexperienced. I opened the quitters, and they really were quit. No embryos really, just the blood circle.

Did I do something wrong? The incubator temperature has been steady. We are turning manually three times a day and keeping one of the water pots full like the directions say (Brinsea Eco). We wash hands before handling the eggs. These are shipped eggs. Does that have something to do with it? Sigh.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:That's exactly what it is, shipped eggs. They kinda get scrambled or shaken up or otherwise "undone."

3. DerbyChook

May 15, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    OK, thanks gryeyes. We are feeling a bit sad, but I guess it comes with the incubating territory. How are your babies doing?

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Five little fuzzy, chubby peepers. ;-)

They are SO quiet... their peeps are little contented sounds. A couple of them even peep in their sleep, very softly.

I am almost positive at least one is a rooster because it came out of the egg with a visible comb! I mean, it's itsy bitsy, but none of the others have any points where a comb would develop, and that one has five miniscule points. Plus, as they feather, it is the only one with a slower-growing tuft of tailfeathers.

Kinda wonder how correct I'll be with that suspicion.

And, truly, I believe it was a miracle that anything hatched at all for me. Had they not, I had three things to blame it on: #1- Shipped eggs. #2 - Hot weather everywhere whilst in transit. #3 - First-timer using brand new incubator.

Now, I did NOT candle ANY of the eggs. I built a home-made candler, but I couldn't bring myself to get disappointed early in the project. Whatever didn't hatch, oh well. You are far more brave than am I!!!

5. DerbyChook

May 15, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    It *was* fun to see the little peep moving in the shell. At this point I hope we get at least two. Would hate to be raising and only chick. Seems like it would get neurotic.

The kidlets are disappointed, but I promised them I would buy some silkie chicks, or we could try again with local eggs if this batch doesn't work out. The whole point with ordering the shipped eggs was to get some speckled sussex which are not available locally that I could fine. Of course all the SS eggs are quit and all I have left are EE and silkie which are easy to find on Craig's List.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by