Why do folks raise quail? Just wondering ...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by gwennym, May 13, 2009.

1. gwennym

gwennym Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Edwardsville, IL
    They're so small --- do people raise them for the "cute factor" or for a particular purpose. All I know about quail is that men hunt them.

Gwen

2. mom2chicksandpups

mom2chicksandpups Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    Some people eat them.

3. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Cute n fun, tasty and eggs!!!!!!!!

4. gwennym

Dec 18, 2008
    Edwardsville, IL
    Yeah, that's true.

5. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    I think SOME people release them to up the population. You must have to really be into it or something. Seems like an expense to buy and release. [​IMG]

6. gwennym

Dec 18, 2008
    Edwardsville, IL
    I wondered if people did that --- raise them from eggs to release for hunting later.

7. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I raise mine for meat - they require less space, have a more efficient meat:feed conversion than chickens, easier to kill and dress and are mostly white meat.

8. gwennym

Dec 18, 2008
    Edwardsville, IL
    Thanks so much for the info, everyone. Learned something new again today.

Gwen

9. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:that requires a permit in almost every state so yes those are some dedicated hunters [​IMG]

MOST of us on here do not release our quails. Most of us on here, also, have coturnix quails (most not all) which are just miniature chickens in comparision so one could ask... why do you raise chickens? LOL! Coturnix quails lay quicker (in age) than chickens do,, and only take 6-8 weeks to mature.... and then you can cull them and eat them, and since they mature so fast they lay eggs fast and you can produce MANY generations in one warm season.... so before you knwo it your freezers full and your meat chickens arent even ready to slaughter yet. [​IMG]

Plus they're cute, and come in SEVERAL color varieties and if you're a genetic FREAK like me..they are perfect. [​IMG]

10. gwennym

Dec 18, 2008
    Edwardsville, IL
    monarc23 --- many thanks for the info. I think I may have to check out these little cuties ---- oh, heck, I'll probably end up loving those too! Seems like once you own fowl, ya gotta try 'em all.

:->

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by