Why do geese pulse their wings a little while standing around?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by MichalK, Sep 24, 2015.

1. MichalK

MichalK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2015
    Illinois
    I notice they do this calmly just standing there...are they fanning themselves?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Maybe I really don't know, with my ducks they do it after bathing. I do know when my flock of chickens ducks and geese are hot they will stand with their wings off from their body so maybe with geese it does have something to do with cooling themselves.

If you find out for sure post back.

1 person likes this.
  3. HeritageGoose13

HeritageGoose13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2015
    They do it when they are hot. It is to release body heat. Remember, they are surrounded by down feathers and become hot even when it is cool to us.

As long as they are not panting they are okay.

1 person likes this.
  4. MichalK

Jun 24, 2015
    Illinois
    Thank you for the reply! They do pant when it's really hot out.

5. MichalK

Jun 24, 2015
    Illinois
    Another question if you don't mind : do you know their language? What do their different vocalizations mean?

6. HeritageGoose13

HeritageGoose13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2015
    I know what most of their vocalizations mean but they are hard to describe in text. Here are the three that are probably easiest to identify.

A very loud screechy honk: called "love trumpeting" geese do this to humans when they are very closely bonded. Not all geese do this. They don't need to be imprinted to humans to do it, it just means they love that particular human. They do it when they see that person, as a greeting.

Humming/muttering while eating: a sign of content, happiness, feelings of safety.

A loud, piercing call, over and over: this usually is them calling over another goose. They will stop when the goose (or human) they want comes over (or ignores them long enough.)

1 person likes this.
  7. MichalK

Jun 24, 2015
    Illinois
    Thanks! My female does this really sharp "oink" call. Then this high pitched softer whistley noise. The gander makes this low honk with his head down. And he does this little sound like a soft whistle/laugh. And he responds to my talking to him with short muted single honks. what are those?

8. MichalK

Jun 24, 2015
    Illinois
  9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by