Why do hatching eggs cost more than other eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kelly52862, Apr 5, 2012.

1. kelly52862

kelly52862 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Kentucky
    I understand shipping but that is extra. And I also understand rare breeds or "special" breeds, but do people really pay upwards of a $1.00 per egg for barn yard mixes, or standard breed eggs. I see them on Ebay all the time. Will people pay $12.00 for a dozen eggs plus $15.00 shipping.

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Watch the ad and see, but to answer hatching eggs should be handles slightly differently, I do charge more for my hatching eggs- but if someone ask they are welcome to try to hatch the less then 7 day old refrigerated eggs...

3. chicken-whisperer

chicken-whisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Vista San Diego County
    I sell a lot of hatching eggs. To insure the fertility I keep six roosters in 6 pens requiring six waterers , feed dishes etc. There is also the keeping track of the breed lines so free ranging is by one pen at a time to insure no sibling mating. The food is also up graded to include fresh greens and meal worms. My BCMs are well worth the effort but much more work than when I had a mixed flock.

4. kelly52862

kelly52862 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the info! I didn't even think about the extra roosters and making sure the pens were separate!

5. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

I wouldn't pay a $1 per egg for barnyard mixes. I will easily pay over $5 per egg that comes from a quality flock though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by