Why do I even bother carrying that egg basket

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bobbieschicks, Dec 12, 2011.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I feel like such a dweeb - I joyfully carry that egg basket out to the coop to gather my eggs. [​IMG] Only problem is there aren't any to gather! [​IMG] Why do I keep doing that! [​IMG] I just set myself up for disappointment when I have to carry an empty basket back to the house. [​IMG]

I have one 21 week old white leghorn pullet and she isn't even laying regularly yet. I have one Ancona & two mystery pullets that are 18 weeks old as of tomorrow - red combs, wattles & roo attention, not laying yet. And of course there are the babies - Silkies and Lavender Orpingtons who are just 9 weeks old as of this Weds. - they won't lay for another - what? ten or more weeks!

Maybe I'll just put the basket out there in the storage area of the coop - just in case it's EVER needed... at least there's always the spring to look forward to! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Hope springs eternal. [​IMG]

3. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    The one day you don't take it out there - that's when you'll find eggs!

4. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Quote:X2

5. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    Patience Grasshopper, your ladies are still young. [​IMG]

6. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    you have an egg basket? I just use my coat pockets...

7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Put a hook up in the coop, and hang the egg basket on it.....Then it'll be down there when you finally have eggs, and you won't have to carry it back and forth.....Although I usually put the eggs in my pockets, BUT sometimes I forget and then I lean up against something and I squish one....(icky pocket) LOL

Do you have decreased daylight hours in VA? We sure do in Ohio.....It gets dark around 6:00 now.....Such a bummer. I light my coops though, so I'm still getting eggs.....

When you get that first egg, it'll feel just like Christmas! [​IMG] It really will!

Take care,
    Sharon

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Yep still too young.

I also do the egg in the pocket thing, it is the only reason my jackets get washed regularly [​IMG] . Found one this fall in my winter Carhartt - it had broken some time in the long past, and the pocket was full of dried smeary egg and shell fragments (If this happens to you, make sure to take out all the shell before washing, the washing machine had little pieces of shell in it for a long time).

9. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:Yes - that's what I'm going to do - a hook in there and I won't have to try and remember it. I thought about the egg in a pocket thing - but I would most likely not make it back to the house without breaking it. We do have decreased light - I put out Christmas lights that come on at 5am/off at 7 am. & then repeat in the evening at 4pm-7:30pm to try and get my 14 hours for them. Here are the bigs & littles together roosting with their artifical lighting. Very Christmasy in there.

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    OH, I LOVE your Christmas lights in the coop! That is so cute! Lovely flock!

Merry Christmas!

Sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by