Why do I feel like it will NEVER be done?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jennmugg, Apr 29, 2009.

1. jennmugg

jennmugg Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    Titusville Florida
    I was really naive about this whole coop thing. I always drive by my neighbors and see about 30 chickens free ranging. I figured we would have a simple coop for my girls to roost in at night and a covered run so I wouldn't have to worry about them during the day. I'm too paranoid and attached to them to let them free range.

Now the coop is nearly finished, but I keep finding ways that it doesn't seem secure enough, or not good enough for other reasons. My poor, loving hubby has spent many, many hours on this thing, but I keep finding other stuff for him to do to it! It's become some sort of obsession!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  2. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I think creative projects are like that, we always see ways to improve them. How wonderful that your hubby is so supportive.

3. LuvinMyPeeps

LuvinMyPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Powhatan, VA 23139
    Hi, no, it's never 'perfect', just do what you can. Trust me, you can make yourself crazy. But if you're like most of us on BYC, you are hooked, so it will really never be done...you'll always find ways to add to it, make it better or tweak something. Plus if you wait till it's 'perfect' you'll never end up moving your babies in!

I'm sure whatever you've done sofar will be fine.

Take it easy on yourself :) [​IMG]

4. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Cheer up--You just need a word of encouragement that you are doing a GREAT JOB!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I've been out in the country for nearly 10 years and E V E R Y
    project I undertake ALWAYS takes me longer than I had planned.[​IMG]

I don't think you have any "chicken keepers police" harrassing you, so, I know that you can get it done.

Plus, you D O N ' T have winter setting in, yet, do you?[​IMG]

Just take a deep breath, grab a glass of wine or beer or whatever, pat yourself on the back that you've gotten this far
    And
    start "climbing that mountain again!"[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    Quote:I soooooooooo feel your pain!! We cheated and bought a pre-made coop from the local shed place. It's a great coop but I loved having chickens so much that I wanted to expand. DH kindly gave me half his shed space to convert into a larger coop (when we can afford a garage I'll get the whole thing)... but we just keep working, and working, and working, and working and I swear we'll never get it done!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    [​IMG] I feel the same way... think we have been working on our since the beginning of April, we are still working on it, almost done but I dont think we will ever be completely done, always something to add or change. [​IMG]

7. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    I gotta agree with Jen4.

A coop can be a "completed" project? I thought it was a never ending loop......

LOL

8. cindyanne1

cindyanne1 Mother Goose

Apr 19, 2009
    Central Ohio
    I need to have my husband read this thread! [​IMG]

He's been very supportive... building a coop from the plans *I* found but now we're finding out it's not going to be right for our uses... after it's already done, of course! [​IMG] Nothing like starting over from scratch just when you thought you were done! UGH

My husband is sort of used to that sort of thing... it's always trial and error when one is a do-it-yourself type of person. Especially when it's something one has never done before! I honestly don't think he minds the labor involved with building another coop for me, but he wishes it didn't take so much time to do, lol.

Hopefully we'll all get our coops done soon and they'll be structures that will last many years. [​IMG]

9. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    I'm right there with ya sista. My coop took all summer to build. I thought it would NEVER be done.

Your ladies will be fine. Just give them a safe place to sleep and lock it up as best as you can. Any life you give them will be so far superior to the life they would have on a factory farm. And they will repay you with silliness, lovin' and delicious eggs. Enjoy the process.

10. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    i know the feeling. i got me a bad case of the "woulda-coulda-shouldas" myself but i also have eleven growing girls looking out the door wanting to expore the world. motivation is not in short supply. prioritizing tasks will help. some cosmtetics and value added features will wait untill you accomplish the mandatory aspects of the build. you'll get it done.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by