Why do I have bad luck with Roo's?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CoopersCoop, Feb 6, 2009.

1. CoopersCoop

CoopersCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Medina
    I have a Polish Rooster who is almost 1 year old. He is getting mean! This is the second rooster I had that was mean. My freinds roosters are nice,,,,, Any suggestions besides Chopping? [​IMG] We have 8 hens, he is find with them. He's ok until you turn you back!
    Thanks!

2. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

3. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    What you want to do is called "Gentling". Work at making the roo less of a threat to you, by making you less of a threat to him.

Don't turn your back. Don't ignore his aggressive moves toward you. If he attacks or acts like he wants to attack, be prepaired to grab him, craddle him in your arms and talk gentle to him stroking his waddles and stroke/pet him. Be careful about making fast moves above his head as that is like an attack. Eventually he will realize that making an aggressive move towards you, he ends up getting caught and petted. Embarrassing!

Also, when he tries to bite have a hand full of grain/scratch or treats so that when he attacks your hand he gets something to eat. Eventually he will see you as less of a threat and more of a provider.

Now that I have said all of this... It has worked on some of my roos. But... a couple I just didn't have the patience for. If you have ever kicked or attacked the roo it will be harder to convince him you are not his enemy anymore.

My Big Roo Rusty will still dance aggressively towards me, and even bite at me but last night when he bit my hand he didn't clamp down. Just let me know I was intruding. I reached my hand under his chest and petted him. He was okay, just needing to be the head of the pecking order.

Hope this helps.

edited to say, "I agree with rooster-red. Good advice."

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  4. tarka

tarka New Egg

Nov 4, 2007
    Great advice above [​IMG]

5. CoopersCoop

CoopersCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Medina
    Thank you for your advise,,, I have three young children,,, two of them have spoiled these chickens since they were chicks. Its sad to see him turn on them. No one had swung at him,,, just ran:) So, I will grab him next time he jumps up at me and give him BIG kisses and hugs. I'll keep working with him. I'll also check out the site suggested too.
    Thanks!

6. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I've heard that Polish roos can be aggressive, and our hen is just a love. [​IMG] I've had experience with almost twenty roosters over the years and only one has every built a bond with people. He was a Sultan, another crested breed. Sadly, he recently passed away, which would figure. [​IMG] My current roosters have all attacked me in the past and are VERY mean. Nothing will stop them 'til they're good as dead.

I hope your guy can be trained.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by