Why do I have Thin shelled eggs all the sudden?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Horse-n-bunny, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Horse-n-bunny

Horse-n-bunny Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2012
    Connecticut
    A couple quick questions...my barred rock has just started laying eggs...1 every 2 or 2.5 days...they were nice and hard shelled and tasty now today i went out and she had two eggs right beside each other and they are both very thin shelled and she either pecked or stepped on one of them...is it possible she laid 2 in a 14 hour period? and why would the shells go from perfect to very soft? sorry for all the questions at once. i am fairly new here and just wanna figure out the egg laying thing for new birds...thaks in advance for your help.

Horse and Bunny

2. PSJ

PSJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    Sometimes, with new layers, weird things happen with eggs for no reason. This may be the case. Or it could be that she needs more calcium... Do you give oyster shell or crushed egg shells? I save all of my egg shells, throw them in a bowl, and when they dry, I crush them up into tiny pieces and give them to the girls

3. Horse-n-bunny

Horse-n-bunny Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2012
    Connecticut
    wow thats a good idea with the shells...no i dont give calcium but there is some in the feed i give her....do you ever have a problem with your girls pecking their own eggs because they like th etaste of their shells? or do they not know it is their shells cuz they are crushed up...thanks for the advice though ill try it if she continues wwith soft shells but her foirst 3 were very very hard and perfect...

4. PSJ

PSJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    Layer feed has it, but sometimes they need a little extra. But, like I said, with new layers, there are malfunctions sometimes. No real cause. Just their bodies working out the kinks.
    I've never had a problem with egg eating because of feeding them back their shells. I let them dry in a plastic bowl and after a few days, or when my bowl is full, I put them in a ziploc bag and crush them up as tiny as possible.

5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    In 99.9% of all cases, a TRUE soft shelled egg has nothing to do with a calcium deficit. Oyster shells are fed to produce as strong an egg shell as possible this is so that the egg will hatch reliably when incubated by a commercial hatchery. Granite grit, marble grit, and oyster shell are all fed to chickens and all contain one basic ingredient of egg shells, calcium.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by