Why do I keep on failing to keep baby chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by collingwood, Mar 8, 2015.

1. collingwood

collingwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi I've tried everithing! The first two chicks I bought and I put them under the care of my broody duck! Both were killed by my dog... So the second time I locked them up so the dog couldn't get in! My plan was foolproof but my duck took it for a swim... The third time was a baby duckling! It died later from I'm not sure what yet! And then this was my third time and the chickens found a hole in the wire and them chased the chick around until the chick got lost and couldn't find it's mother and died of cold! I can't believe I've failed again... All I want is to have at least one success full chick! It's embarrasing that my friends have kept baby chicks before and they don't even know how to care for chickens! And have dogs aswell!

2. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    First off,stop letting a duck care for a chick.Next,you need to keep and care for them.

3. collingwood

How will I keep them warm?

4. LoveThemBirds

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Heatlamps

5. collingwood

I don't have any! I could keep them inside in a box next to the fire. would that work? Ps I live in Australia so it's coming into winter now!

6. LoveThemBirds

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Any possible way you could get a heat lamp?if not,a light bulb over them,and by the fireplace is as good as you can get without heatlamp.

7. nj2wv

nj2wv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2015
    Lost Creek ,WV
    I have used a desk lamp with a 75 watt bulb. Just attach it securely so it won't cause a fire. Keep the box in the house until it is fully feathered. Have at least two chicks so it won't be lonely. Have chick feed and a chick waterer. I use a quail waterer because it is smaller and safer IMO. Use pine shavings for bedding and change it every day or if it gets wet. Hope this helps.

8. LoveThemBirds

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Also,do you have money,and the time?Chicks need attention.You should also change their water daily if it gets dirty.You have to teach chicks not to eat pine shavings,not only this,you have to teach them want to eat and what NOT to eat.

Also,keep them protected.There are all kindd ofcrazy animals im Australia,lol,but it is a wonderful place.

9. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    can you send me the names of those text books on how to teach a chick not to eat pine shavings, and the one on how to teach them what to eat and what not to eat? Should I read it aloud to them, or can they read it themselves?

LOL at y'all, 'teach them what not to eat'......it's easy, put them in a brooder and don't give them anything they're not supposed to eat. Once they're grown and you put them out, guess what, a chicken will eat what appeals to it's eyes, whether it's good for them or not. what do you do, smack them on the beak if they start toward that box of rat poison? There is no teaching a chicken what they're not supposed to eat......

OP, invest in a brooder, a heat lamp, a feed tray and a nipple type watering system. Chick feed, some chick grit. Probiotics and/or electrolytes in the water. Keep them around 95* the first week, 90* the second week, 85* the third week, 75* week four. Watch them though, not everything is by the book. The chicks actions will tell you if they're too hot or cold, all piled up and chirping a lot, too cold! panting and listless, too hot! Give them one area of the brooder with the heat lamp, and plenty of room to move away from it if they want to. They'll come back to the heat if they get too cool...... After that they are pretty close to fully feathered and pretty much able to fluff their feathers up and keep themselves warm.

10. collingwood

I don't really have much time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by