1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why do I keep putting it off?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gritsar, Jan 26, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Ordering chicks.
    A couple weeks ago DH and I discussed my plan for adding some spring chicks. I really need more laying hens to keep up with my egg orders. I can't afford a new coop until my jeep is paid off in Sept., but we paid DH's jeep off the other day so, amongst other things, we can afford to feed and care for more hens. There's some room available in my current coop where the new chicks can live until we get them their own coop.
    So, we agreed that I should order 12 chicks. I wanted 9, but DH bumped it up to 12 saying I might lose some. I have the green flag to order more chicks. I plan to ask for delivery in early May, so there's plenty of time to prepare for them and with warmer weather they won't have to be in a brooder for that long before they can go in the coop. We'll have a seperate area for them in the coop to protect them for the vultures (my brahmas) and a protected play yard for them outside.
    Yet, I keep putting off ordering them. Ideal emailed this morning to let me know a breed I was interested in will be available.
    I keep telling myself that it's because I can't decide for sure on breeds. Then I tell myself that I need to get the new puppy home and squared away before I worry about ordering chicks. Nothing is going to change if I order chicks right now, except that the breeds I want will be reserved.
    I just don't understand it. Last time I ordered chicks I was all gungho. [​IMG]

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Maybe you have a sixth sense about something. Listen to your gut. Who knows?

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:That's what I keep telling myself Buff. Think I'm going to wait a few more days and do some thinking on it.

4. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:That's what I keep telling myself Buff. Think I'm going to wait a few more days and do some thinking on it.

That's exactly along the lines of what i was thinking as I read your post. I'd get the pup home and well settled before doing anything else anyway.

5. Cornychick

Cornychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    I think you know how much you currently have on your plate and how much time and attention your new puppy is going to take and you are being wise not to stretch yourself too thin. That's something that I need to get better at!

6. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    What are you looking for? I got BOs, White Leghorns, and RIR BO cross. Be happy to send you some eggs.

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Country, thanks for the offer but I don't as yet have an incubator.
    I'm really wanting some naked necks. I'm wanting a few easter eggers, yes I've read that they are great birds, but I'll admit that I mainly included them because the captain's wife is freaked out on colored eggs. [​IMG]
    Gonna talk to DH about it some more. He always has sage advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by