1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WHY do I let my girls hatch babies every year ??? Ugh

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bengalcats1, May 18, 2011.

1. Bengalcats1

Bengalcats1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    This is when the panic sets in, I have 5 girls with babies and one still sitting, every year I say No way am I letting them have babies because half or more will be boys that I then have to find homes for. It's raining nonstop here and I worry that they will take them out and they will get soaked, I already brought 2 of the mamas and their babies in a few weeks ago cause its been cold and they are in my shop, so I can't really bring any more in . Not to mention having to reintroduce everyone back into the group. I guess I get caught up in the whole baby chick thing and don't look ahead, Oh and I also have baby silkies in a brooder that I Bought ! ...I need HELP with my addiction and the whole springtime baby excitement....[​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    OH you are going to need an intervention! You are extremely addicted! [​IMG]

Unfortunately, so am I! LOL I bought 12 TSC chicks, I hatched 10 chicks, and I already had 9 hens! [​IMG]

What was I thinking! So I rehomed 9 just the other day, but now, I'm going to get 5 EE chicks......

3. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Save your original post here - read it over twice a day beginning Jan. 1st, 2012.

Start another hobby? Fly tying? You've got the feathers...

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  4. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I have call ducks and really enjoy a set number of them. Their pond and duck house stays clean much longer too! When I see the eggs they lay I think about setting them in the incubator. Kind of like I hate to see them go to waste! [​IMG]

I actually have my hubby toss them out to pasture cause I am unable to.. And my few banty hens will set a nest in corner of pen and I make myself take their eggs away. It is so much work to find homes for the extras just as you said.

Here is my new motto: BE STRONG and take the eggs away each day......

5. Bengalcats1

Bengalcats1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Well stupid me was telling my son who just came home from college about the babies and how CUTE they are etc etc and then had to get a lecture how I didn't need any more and I promised I was going to take their eggs away this year and not let them hatch...OOPS, should've kept my mouth shut, but he is Right [​IMG]

6. ralleia

ralleia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    What does me in is the look of sorrow in the eyes of the broody hen as I take her eggs, and the dejected tilt of her head.

Within a few days I am guilted into letting her set.

Usually instead of successful hatching, I order in a batch of chicks to be raised by the hen, timed to arrive at about the 21-day point. That way I can order pullets only if I want more hens, or males if we want to fill the freezer.

7. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:[​IMG] Very funny [​IMG]

8. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Chicks are irresistible....I too have a problem....it's not too many chickens...it's not enough property to get all I want [​IMG] Gonna have to work on that...

9. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Oh, I hear you! This was my first year with broody hens and, for some foolish reason, I really didn't think the eggs would hatch! So, I let them sit. Now there are 28 beautiful "Farm raised" babies in addition to the 20 hatchery chicks I ordered and my existing flock. I made the comment out loud to my husband that after seeing the broodies raise the babies I wasn't going to brood them myself ever again "next year, I'll just let the mamas do it". To which his eyes glazed over and he mumbled "oh yeah, neeext year". But I've been good, haven't let any eggs sit long enough for someone to take a liking to them! Let's hope I can keep that up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by