Why do I need 2 stories?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by flspnr, Oct 15, 2011.

1. flspnr

flspnr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Gibsonton, FL
    Dad's told me that he'll help me rebuild the coop for the chickens, yay! I want it to be 3ft by 5 ft, but I want it to be 2 stories, with the coop on top of the run (30 sq feet total, with outside free range time during the day when I'm home). Dad thinks it will be less complicated to build the run coming out of the coop, so one story. He thinks chickens don't need to be spoiled (he hasn't actually seen them yet - didn't even notice the coop last time he picked me up/dropped me off for lunch, lol!)

I want two stories because:
    I need to use a minimum amount of space but want the chickens to have the maximum amount.
    The coop needs to be off the ground for them to be comfy, right?
    I want to be able to fit all of it on my porch (the coop and run will both have sand, the run will have a bottom to it too) so they can't destory any grass (I rent)
    I want it to be easy to move when I move again (hopefully not for a while, but I will eventually)
    I rent. I need to make landlord happy. It needs to not be something that really stands out. I live in a trailer and by the front door is a cement porch with an overhang. Kinda like a carport. That's where they'll need to be, unless I put them around the side (the "back" yard), but I'd rather have them where I can see them and get to them quickly if there's a problem.
    I'd like the part I have to clean the most (the coop) to be up to my height so that I can easily clean

Dad wants one story because:
    He says that we can just make the run and coop each 3 by 5, and it would be easier and the chickens can still have sand in both
    It will be easy enough to move - I guess a detachable run?

Sooo.... Anyone want to help with reasons the chickens need 2 stories?? I'm going to draw out designs for one story and two to show dad, but I'd like to have some expert opinions to print up and take with me to help with my arguement. (Or his, if you like his idea better, convince me! lol)

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Both have good points but sometimes when someone is willing to help you you have to concede.... Unless you can do it without them!! [​IMG]

3. flspnr

Sep 23, 2011
    Gibsonton, FL
    Barred Babies...you're right. [​IMG] I can't do it without him, so compromise is necessary. That's why I want him to compromise with me and do it my way! [​IMG] Dad's a thinker. He'll always listen to the other side of the arguement, as long as it's done logically. Logically, he doesn't see any reason to spoil "just chickens." So, I'm wanting to show him my way is the better way. However, it may end up that he just doesn't want to do it my way and we do it his way. He's providing the scrap wood, after all. I'd just like a good go at convincing him! [​IMG]

4. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you draw up your idea and post it? Maybe it's just me (and I'm kind of tired from a late night) but I'm a little confused with what you're talking about. I read it a couple of times over and still confused. I understand WHERE you want it and why. But not getting what you mean by two story. Are you talking about a coop on LEGS as being a two story... or are you talking about a coop with literally two floors inside the coop? If that is the case, I see a very good way to compromise! You could build a nice tall coop and then put a HALF floor in. So under the half floor, you can hang your water and feed and it won't get pooed on and the chickens can't roost on top of them. (yeah, mine like to sit on top of the water and poop in it. I have to figure out another solution FAST!) Anyway, if you had a soild floor above it really would be harder to clean it out, unless you had really good access to it. If you have just the half floor- they can go up a ladder and roost "upstairs" and you still have easy access to everything and still put in access upstairs as well. This might make your dad happier-- which means he's going to help you BUILD. And trust me, I've been working on my coop by myself all summer, and it's no fun working by yourself. And I'm still not done! I really need HELP. So I'd compromise and utilize his help!!! [​IMG]

5. Hawkeye95

Forgot to add... that if you're talking about a 'two story' being a coop on legs-- I love that idea. I'm using it! So part of my run is under the coop which offers a smart sense of using all the space you have and you get more out of it. Has your dad seen pictures of raised coops? Maybe print off a couple from the coop section that are REALLY cute and convince him that it's being efficient and smart. BTW, before I started building my coop, I showed my dad the ideas I was going to use to build mine. He was appalled that I was building a raised coop. He has raised chickens all his life and never seen anything like it before and was skeptical. But I showed him plenty of pictures, told him all the benifits and now he thinks it's a pretty cool idea. Not that it really matters, I have my own house and family, but I did want him to approve. [​IMG]

6. flspnr

Sep 23, 2011
    Gibsonton, FL
    Hawkeye, yup - coop on top and run on bottom. I've got a raised coop right now and it's the perfect height for me to easily clean. There's no run on the bottom though. I could add one on, but with dad offering to help build an all new one... [​IMG] I live a couple of hours away from them and they've never had pets except for dogs, so he's coming from no experience. Never even held a fluffybutt! Poor guy. But anyways, that's why I was wondering people's opinions, like what the benefits are to having a raised coop. I'm still new - my only coop ever was a raised one! And while I have lots of ideas for improvements, I don't know *why* that's a better option or *why* I even did it, other than ease of cleaning. [​IMG]

7. Hawkeye95

Quote:Okay, I'll tell you why I am using a raised coop design. For one, we don't have a lot of trees here, and the summer sun is brutal. So I really wanted to have a nice area they could get to UNDER the coop to protect them from the elements- like rain, snow, sun, etc.. Another reason is that if it is raised, you will be GAINING more run area, and chickens always need more space to roam than you think. If you are working with a small area, or a small yard, this is like adding real estate with no extra cost. Granted, I love this idea, and even though I have acres of land to work with, I didn't want to fence in a huge portion of my yard, so having all the square footage under my coop is a benefit. Now, I realize, you're talking about a small coop here, but another reason people go with raised coops is because of mice, snakes, and other predators or pests that would want to dig under a structure and set up house under there and cause problems. For example- I have a raised herb garden right now made out of rail road ties and filled with dirt. You would not believe all the mice I get digging under there and calling my garden home. I throw rat poison into their holes every now and then to control the problem. So, by having a raised coop, you won't have any animals digging under it and calling it home. Another reason is that with smaller coops especially (not so much with larger) that if your coop sits about waist high, then it's really easy to access it and clean it and reach in there. I think there are probably more reasons, but those are my main ones. My coop is a medium sized coop- so I saw no reason to build a large walk-in. And especially with a small coop, like you're talking about, it makes a lot of sense to raise it. Check out some great designs on the coop page for "Small Coops" and print off a couple you really adore and show your dad. You'll probably convince him when he sees how easy they are to access and cute they are! [​IMG]

8. flspnr

Sep 23, 2011
    Gibsonton, FL
    Thanks Hawkeye, perfect! [​IMG] I've already sent him 2 ideas, going to print up a few more before I meet them for lunch, and of course print up your answer to show him (You don't mind do you? I can paraphrase if you want).

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by