Why do I never have a camera?? I swear she was saying "That's MY man"

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by RyRy2, Jul 20, 2011.

1. RyRy2

RyRy2 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    Canastota, NY
    ok, had to share this with you guys,

Brief background. Charlie (Barred NN) is the dominant Rooster and his special girl is Curly ( 1/3 his size, but also a Barred NN) Charlie loves Curly so much that I will be looking for a hen saver apron w/ shoulder protection a bit later today.. Other than a well placed peck or two to let everyone know that she is queen, Curly has always been pretty mellow, doesn't bother anyone, goes about her business of being queen (getting the choisest morsels, best roosting spots, etc..).

Well you know how fickle men are.. the new pullets are reaching maturity and my pretty little Red Starr has caught Charlie's eye, which I've been happy about, thinking the more hens he has, maybe poor Curly will get a break and be able to grow some feathers back before winter hits..

Last night I let the pullets out to free range with the older birds and Charlie immediately starts dancing for Starr, Curly is watching this, but lets it go. Well that lasted about as long as it took for Starr to squatt, Charlie hops on and the next thing I know, Sweet little Curly is flying across the yard, jumps up into Charlie's face, [​IMG] knocking him off of Starr, Curly then procedes to chase Starr off. plumps herself up a bit and preens, then saunters right back past Charlie (who incidently still has this confused "what did I do" look on his face). Charlie of course being the good Rooster he is, followed his main girl and tried to make up (for what he still wasn't sure)..

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

3. zumzumfoxy

zumzumfoxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    ROFL, that's priceless! [​IMG] Such a great story!!

4. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Erinmir

Erinmir Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    West Alexander, PA
    'Atta girl, Curly! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    That's HILARIOUS!!! I'm constantly wishing I had my camera with me when out with the girls.

7. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    You go Curly!

8. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    wow thats HALARIOUS! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. RyRy2

RyRy2 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    Canastota, NY
    you learn something new every day. yesterday I learned Chickens have a mean "hit ya with a fryin pan" jealous streak :[​IMG] today all seems calm, of course the oldies and the youngsters are keeping their distance from each other - Charlie is getting his exercise running back and forth [​IMG] between the two groups

10. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    [​IMG] lmao I laughed so hard reading this ! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by