Why do meat turkeys have to be so cute and friendly???

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by PurpleChicken, Sep 11, 2009.

1. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    I have 6 white broad breasted turkeys that AHappychick sent home with me. 4 are supposed to go to a kid in town and I took two for me. I named them Thanksgiving & Christmas.

Well, one of them literally leaps up onto things to get close to me when I walk in the barn or run and the rest will follow me around. They are adorable.

This ain't right. Do you think they know their destiny and are trying to get on my good side?

How long will a Broad Breast live? I've heard varied opinions.

2. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I understand completely. This is the first year I have raised the Broad Breasted Whites and Bronzes. They follow us around like puppies, very curious and friendly. I love to hear their "popping" noises while they are foraging. Our Thanksgiving Tom is getting so big too. I may have to keep a couple of the hens just for the noises ! I think they are like silkies, they are trying to get at your soul. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    OH NOOOOO PC, turkey x2? You will find yourself so attached, they just won't taste right. Pray they start flogging you and your family! that makes them taste better. Our old Roo named "Supper" tasted really really bad [​IMG] He was juicy and tender, but the Pet-flavor came thru somehow. [​IMG] Oh, boy, you are in trouble now. I think turkeys live at leat 30 years or more. [​IMG] Then, they can be made into turkey jerky. HenZ [​IMG]

4. PurpleChicken

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    [​IMG]

uhuuuu (deep breath)

You two are a big help. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Well, I'll be watching to see if you actually mange to process them or not. [​IMG] You try to hide it, but you're a big softy [​IMG]

Turkeys sound like a lot of fun, but DH would divorce me for sure. [​IMG]

6. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I think the proper lifespan is approx 5 months, take the scale outside, and they will line up to be weighed, when they are close to 30 its time for dinner. Should dress out about 20 lbs. [​IMG] You dress it I will carve it. I got mad carving skills. [​IMG]

7. PurpleChicken

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. PurpleChicken

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:I may have to try a few of your turkeys as pets. Maybe...

You are the best turkey carver I have seen.

9. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Going to auction tommorrow, speak now or no more little ones till next year. I have some just hatched monday, they are so cute as babies.

Gobble Gobble, I am keeping a couple that will be dinner, the BB's last year tasted just like TURKEY. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by