why do my 1 Gander's wings hang low?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickenlisa, Apr 26, 2009.

1. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    Do you ears hang low? Do they wobble to and fro?

OK, seriously, my 4 oldest geese (Pilgrims) have grown most of their feathers, and Paulie's wing tips hang way low. He keeps shrugging them up, but they drift down again. The other 3 have theirs tucked up high under the upper wing parts.
    Here is his pic to show what I mean.
    [​IMG]

Anyone ever seen this or know why he's like that?
    Lisa

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    There is still probably blood flowing in the new feathers. It makes them very heavy and that is why they droop.

Or, he could be lazy...... [​IMG]

3. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    that could explain it. They are new flight feathers and when he stretches, I see the quill that the feathers are growing out of. Very weird looking- like its being pushed out of a tiny straw. Not sure why the others' can keep theirs up. But either he's ahead of them and they will look like he does soon or they are just not as lazy as him. [​IMG]
    Has anyone else seen this in your geese?

4. LoveMyBirds

LoveMyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Quote:Last year my geese would do that until they got more age and strenght on them, then they quit dropping down..

5. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    oh good to hear! Thank you! I'll be watching for it... I've been feeling sorry for him. Its so hot out and they look so heavy. Poor guy! I'm glad to know nothing is wrong with him though.
    Thanks again...anyone have pics of theirs and ages when it stopped?

6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    If they are hot, they will let them hang too. When they are folded up it keeps more heat in.

7. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    thanks
    I don't think he's hot. He's the only one doing that too. They have a pool to go in, a shed for shade and sleepy time, and trees to hide under too. Ill watch them all so if they all start to do that, I'll spray some cold water that way to cool them down. It is 88 out today and supposed to be 90 tomorrow. [​IMG] I'm in NJ! I love it though- I just have to keep all the birds cooled down; they aren't used to this.

8. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    It is called slipped wing and at this point is probably just a bad habit. Does he fold then up on his back like he should when he is siting or lieing down and only let them droop when he is walking? You could try cutting back on the protein in his feed so his feathers don't grow so fast and encourage him to eat grass and get more exercise. Sometimes when they get this habit it continues for life!

9. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    ok, they just got out on the grass all day, so I'll cut back on the feed they get and hopefully the wings will tuck up higher. When he sits, they still hang down lower.
    Thanks
    Will update in a few days....
    Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by