Why do my Australorps look so different?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Pequena Bandada, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    Hi all - I have four 18 week old pullets (well, I *think* they're pullets). When I bought them at 12 weeks old, my two Australorps looked almost exactly alike. In the last six weeks, though, Cupcake has gotten stockier than Bourbon, and she has a large red comb and wattles. The comb and wattles developed between 15 - 17 weeks and got red between 16-18 weeks. Bourbon has absolutely no comb, no wattles, and just the tiniest pink tint to her cheeks. Her head looks exactly the same as it did at 12 weeks.

Should I be concerned about either one? Cupcake looks like the pictures I see of mature Australorp hens, so I feel like she's developing normally. Bourbon, on the other hand, worries me a little. Is she just a late bloomer? Or am I delusional and Cupcake is really a roo?

The first picture is Cupcake, the second is Bourbon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Don't know on the chickens, but I just had to say that's a fantastic stink eye in the first photo!! [​IMG]

My australorps aren't old enough to comment, but my 16 week old RIR pullets have wattles and comb similar to your first chicken and I have one that's behind as well. So it does happen. I'm not good at hackle/saddle feathers yet so someone else can comment there. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  3. PetRock

PetRock Crowing

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Bourbon looks just like our 21 week old BA, Precious. I'm just assuming that we are going to have to wait a while longer for eggs from her.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Yes, I noticed the stink eye too!! I think Cupcake is angry that you brought up gender issues in public . lol

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Cupcake is a Roo - Bourbon Female. [​IMG]

6. JustDawn

JustDawn Songster

Dec 7, 2009
    Alpharetta Ga
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Cupcake is a Roo - Bourbon Female. [​IMG]

x2​

7. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Songster

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. Mtn Cur

Mtn Cur Songster

Apr 5, 2010
    Seymour, Tn
    cupcake should have saddle feathers if it is a rooster, going by the size.

9. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

I don't see saddle feathers on Cupcake, either. Any chance of a side/tail view?

10. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    I think cupcake is just developing sooner but a side shot would be helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by