Why do my babies panic when it rains???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bec, May 16, 2007.

1. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

My Babies are almost 7 weeks old and they experienced their first rain today. Why did they panic and huddle into a big pile? They were right next to their house, why didn' they go in it??? I went out and I had to individually pick them up and put them in. I guess I thought they would just naturally go in if they didn't like getting wet.[​IMG]

2. Keisha

Keisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    My babies are 2 weeks old, and monday it started downpouring all of the sudden whent they were out there. They werent huddeled up at all just running around playing as usual. But I ppicked t hem all up and put them in the coop, and shut the door, for fear of them getting hypothermia or something. But it didnt' bother them or anything. I wouldn't have a clue why yours did that, maybeit will change with each rain you get. And they will get less and less scared of the rain?

3. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    My avatar says it all!! [​IMG]

Help the sky is dripping!!!

4. Cheeks

Cheeks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2007
    Ohio
    haha. my girls are a little older (22weeks) are they really are, for lack of a better word, chickens.

they get scared of the rain, and run towards me instead of running into the coop.

i must admit though, it makes me feel loved that they run to me for protection [​IMG]

5. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

That is exactly what mine did!! They ran to me looking for me to help them, which I did. Will they get it? I hope so....lol if not I will always be there to save my babies from the dredded rain!!! [​IMG]

6. Cheeks

Cheeks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2007
    Ohio
    haha. doesnt it make you feel important?

it rained today, and mine took shelter under a bush. so i think theyre learning by experience.

7. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2007
    Arizona
    My boyfriend had chickens growing up. He said they sometimes look up to see where that stuff falling is coming from, and they can get water in their nose, and can drown. Scary cause our coop only has 3 walls so far so I cannot close them in it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by