1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why do my baby chicks keep on diying?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DON956, Feb 19, 2016.

1. DON956

DON956 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2015
    Roma, Texas
    So my last batch was pretty good 75 eggs set 15 were total of unfertiled and blood rings by the 18th day so 60 went to lockdown and 54 hatched. Fast forward 14 days later and I have 30 chicks remaining, everyday I pick up one or two dead. Don't understand why. They have plenty of space got them a 250 watt heat lamp 20 inches above ground and they have a cool spot in the brooder if it's too hot. I've watched them lay under the heat lamp and also seen them spread out evenly if it's too hot and even walk away to the cooler side of the brooder. They eat show chow from purina and their water is always clean and mixed with Duramycin-10. I always keep an eye out on them to prevent them plugging their vent with dry poop also and still keep on diying. Received 14 silver laced Wyandotte last week from pure poultry and got only one left!!! Received 20 Dark Cornish and 10 NH two days ago and are doing good so far, hope they don't start diying on me. Anybody has had same problem? I understand loosing one or two but loosing 50%~90% is crazy and frustrating. Same thing happened with my silkies only have 1 out of 10 and my seramas I lost all of them.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG].

2. murphyfarm

murphyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2016
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    It could be from disease or worms.

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    oh my gosh! That's a nightmare! I am so very sorry. I really have no idea .I would say they are quite young for worms so I doubt that. Could there possibly be something wrong with the food? Try to consider all possibles. could be one came Infested and passed illness to others? Again I'm so sorry. I wish I could be of more help. is there anyway at all they got into something harmful?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  4. Sutremaine

Sutremaine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    UK
    What symptoms does each chick have before dying?

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I too would suspect the feed, there have been cases where a bad bag of feed can cause serious damage and death. I would also make sure they are getting good ventilation, stale hot air can be bad. Another thing to check is if your bulb is made with Teflon which is deadly to birds. Otherwise what type of bedding are you using?

6. DON956

Nov 17, 2015
    Roma, Texas

It can't be the food since I've been feeding over 100 quails that hatched also along those days and none have died on me. I got 60 ranging from 2-3 months, if it were a desease or infection of some kind I would of had some of them diying. Did have 3 of my 3 months old sneezing and watery eyes but it's been taken care of with Tylan-50 and separated from the main coop. Symptoms of chicks before diying on me is basically kind of sleepy standing up with their heads and wings hanging low. I am using grass cuttings as bedding. Didn't have any dead this morning and all look active eating and drinking well.

7. Anna Rosie

Anna Rosie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2016
    Could it be the grass cuttings? Is it grass from your backyard, if so maybe the chicks are getting into something harmful from your yard?

8. DON956

Nov 17, 2015
    Roma, Texas

That's what I thought so I took off all the bedding and put some saw dust from a local carpenter shop.

9. Anna Rosie

Jan 31, 2016
    I don't know then. Sorry! It must be really hard to loose all of those chicks.

10. Anna Rosie

Jan 31, 2016
    Actually, could they be eating the dust and getting constipated? Just a guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by