Why do my baby ducks always die?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by coltssuperbowl83, Nov 18, 2011.

1. coltssuperbowl83

coltssuperbowl83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    I have them in a bin with pine shavings and a warming light. They are almost a month old and a starting to die off. I don't get it. I had 9 and now I have 6 and two of them aren't looking like they will be here long. Any ideas? They are peking.

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    What are you feeding them? Is their light to close? Is it to hot? You need to move it up more the older they get or they can over heat just as well as getting to cold.... And die....

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yes, please give us all the boring details.

Feed, type and frequency
    watering - what are you using for water?
    Did you hatch them yourself?
    How are they all behaving? Do they have the sniffles?
    Does their poop smell really strong or unpleasant?
    Where are they housed? Can you describe their brooding area? For example, how deep is the bin? What was it used for before? Are there drafts?

Those kinds of things.

Pictures help quite a bit.

4. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    I agree with duckgirl89 and amiga. Hopefuly with more info we will be able to help. [​IMG]

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    At a month old, they won't need much heat. How big is the box? Can they get away from the light far enough that they have a cool place in the brooder?

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Please come back and give us the info so we can help you before you lose anymore. [​IMG]

7. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    They will also eat pine shavings.. not good.. at 30 days they should be out side.

8. Yetti

Yetti Chillin' With My Peeps

I have to agree about getting rid of the pine shavings. they get wet and if you don't change them every single day they are nasty after they poop in them. mine would just make a mess. I switched to sand out of my backyard. it lasts about a week if they don't make to much mud out of it. I put in fresh every few days. that and scrub their water cans and food bowls. if they get dirty they and grow mold in them.

also check the food your giving them for mold. I open my food bags and inspect the new food when I get it and pour it into a secure can in the barn that is free of mice. mouse pee is toxic to most things and if they get into the food they can ruin a whole bag

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by