Why do my BR poults look so different?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by beanmcnulty, Aug 8, 2011.

1. beanmcnulty

beanmcnulty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Baltimore, OH
    Just curious why my BR poults look so different? The first one is now 6 weeks old, he definitely looks a lot more ostrichy, longer neck bigger eyes, the new one looks chicky. I am totally new to this- the first one hatched from egg from here in Ohio, the second is from an egg from Idaho.

Baby pic of my older poult

[​IMG]

Pic of the new baby

[​IMG]

2. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    maybe its the picture angle but the bottom one looks goofy. can you get a different angle shot of it?

3. beanmcnulty

Feb 10, 2011
    Baltimore, OH
    Quote:lol he does look goofy- he was standing funny? I will try and get another one.

4. beanmcnulty

Feb 10, 2011
    Baltimore, OH
    Ok here is another shot of the newbie:

[​IMG]

A little less goofy looking but he still looks a little goofy:)

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Maybe it's because he's younger? He is a cute little goofy thing! hehe Where is his neck? [​IMG] He does look a bit hunched over......Maybe that neck will lengthen with age.

I bought my first two turkey poults this year too. A Blue Slate and a Royal Palm. They're huge now. I bought them on May 20.
    I really enjoy the turkeys. They make the cutest sounds.

Hope you are enjoying yours!
    Sharon

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  6. beanmcnulty

Feb 10, 2011
    Baltimore, OH
    I think the pics are about the same age- I know the older one was supposed to be from SQ parents, maybe goofy here is less than SQ- I think I may have found a name for him/her! His neck looks scrunched, but yeah maybe it will straighten- the hatchery chicks I got this spring had one that its neck was stuck in position so he was constantly looking straight up but it corrected in a few days. The turkeys are so much sweeter than the chickens, the chickens peck at my feet and a few have attempted attacks. Not very endearing!

7. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    I am not a disease expert (in fact, I have a disaese question to post tonight), but poult number two is not right. Look how the first poult stands relaxed, body tilted forward, convex chest, head held up on a slightly relaxed neck. Poult 2 is rigid, chest and neck pulled in, body very upright. It just doesn't look right. Keep it going as long as it eats and drinks and see what happens, but keep a realistic perspective on poult 2's future.

8. longranger

longranger Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    laguna hills CA
    Does number 2 have a snood. Looks like a chick more than a poult. May be just the photo

9. ixnay

ixnay Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2008
    Bridgton, Maine
    I have to agree with Longranger: where's the little bump for the snood? To be honest, I don't see the bump for the other one either.

-- ixnay

10. beanmcnulty

Feb 10, 2011
    Baltimore, OH
    They have/had bumps, the older one is now 6 weeks and definitely has one, the one on the younger one is smaller. As to its health, it is voraciously eating and drinking and getting bigger (now a week old), but yeah i agree it looks a bit "off." Maybe someone who has seen lots and lots of poults would know what's wrong with it? Anyone I can PM come to mind?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by