Why do my chickens act like they are starving

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lrayle, Oct 1, 2013.

1. lrayle

lrayle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    NC
    [​IMG]I have 2 containers like this under shelter and they free range all day. But when I come home and give them bread or buns for a snack they act like they are starved and will take it out of the others mouths. I feed them scratch mixed with laying mesh

2. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Chickens love bread, and they have to hustle to eat some before the other chickens get it.

I am sure your chickens would act the same way with other snacks, such as mealworms.

3. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Its just a bit like kids, they can eat a big dinner and be too full to finish it but offer them sweets and they are all starving suddenly lol

Chickens love treats and they don't want another chicken to get something instead of them so they all fight over the treats thus looking like they are starving when they aren't really.

However If you are at all concerned they could really be hungry just feel their crops occasionally during the day, rub their chest and you should feel a big lump on one side which is a sign of a full crop.

4. lrayle

lrayle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    NC
    yeah I give them to them too just not everyday to expensive thank you

5. abuhr1

abuhr1 New Egg

Oct 2, 2013
    I thought it was just me. My chickens do this to. And have access to lot's of there food and water. Whenever i give them chicken scratch in the late afternoons they litterally jump on it. lol's.

Amy

6. BugGuy

BugGuy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2014
    We have a hen we call "Pretty Girl" and she is just a little piglet. She eats so much that she looks like she swallowed a tennis ball. If you bring out treats, she will act like she's starving and keep eating, it's amazing.

7. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    one of my favorite chicken photo finds

[​IMG]

8. Aacre

Aacre Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Mine act hungry all the time too. They all think that any time that I am outside with a cup, that I have food for them. I give them a cup of oatmeal or cracked corn every day for a snack. They always come running!

9. ccabal

ccabal Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    Chickens are feathered 2-legged pigs. Their crops may be full but they still act like they haven't eaten in days!

-Christian

10. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    Totally normal chicken behavior! All chickens act like they haven't eaten in days when they see food.

100 POST WOOHOOO!!!!!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by