Why do my chickens hate going outside?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by katiek, Nov 6, 2008.

1. katiek

katiek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2008
    Wildwood, GA
    Another dumb Newbie question. It seems my chickens have absolutely no desire to go outside into their run. Mind you we have only had them 2 days. So they might be a little shocked from the move. They are 20ish weeks old. But we almost have to force them out into the run in the morning to get a little light. After they are done getting their fill of scratch they go right back into the coop if the door is open. It is beautiful weather, sunny and warm here in North GA, if I was a chicken I would like to be outside. Is this normal, will this change? ANy info or advice would be appreciated.

2. peeboo

peeboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    fort bragg nc
    since it's a new environment i would assume that they are not yet comfortable with their surrounding and they feel much safer tucked away in the coop. i would just give them time and i'm sure they'll come around. [​IMG]

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i agree with peeboo. Chickens are creatures of habit and don't like change. They just need some time to get comfortable and feel safe. Don't worry, in time you will be wondering why they're outside all the time, even in the pouring rain. [​IMG]

BTW - What breed do you have? If you have silkies who have started to lay, you might have broodies on your hands.

4. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    I say let them be for couple days...they will comeout when they are ready.

5. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    my chickens have absolutely no desire to go outside into their run

Go to a taxidermy shop and pick up a stuffed grizzly bear and put that in the coop, it should help fix your problem.​

6. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. katiek

katiek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2008
    Wildwood, GA
    They are Rhode Island Reds. Beautiful birds!! Can't wait for that first egg. Gotta get them on the right lighting schedule. Oh yeah, thanks for the info.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by