Why do my chickens hate sand and DE in their run??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by OEggs, Jun 30, 2016.

1. OEggs

OEggs New Egg

Jun 30, 2016
    My run is damp even though we graded the ground before placing the coup. I guess it's just a damp corner of the yard. It began to smelling terribly so I raked it out yesterday...yuck!!! I filled the run with play sand and DE at a ratio of 4/1. Drains beautifully as I immediately proved by (accidentally) flooding the area about a half hour later. The chickens hate it!! I had a terrible time bringing them in from free range because they didn't want to step on it. Now they won't come out of the coup because they have to walk over it to get to the exit door! Now what?? Do I wait them out it did I do something wrong?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Chickens hate change. I use the deep litter method, and frequently after a litter change they are reluctant to enter the coop. They will acclimate to the change.

1 person likes this.
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. chickiezar

chickiezar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2016
    Louisiana
    I use DE, Regular Top Soil, Coarse Sand, and lil pebbles.
    I make their dust bath with those without the pebbles and they love it. I live in La nothing except humidity. I put the coarse sand, the top soil, De and Pebbles, Sprayed Vinegar on top no more mold and no stinky....

5. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! It may help if you threw some scratch in the run to encourage them to go in there. Good luck!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. You can try some Stall dri (for horses) to sweeten up their run/coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by