why do my chickens have dirty faces?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by rica7, Nov 11, 2014.

1. rica7

rica7 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2014
    im sorry if this isnt the right place to put this but i need to know. why are my chickens faces SO dirty? are they sad? do they need something?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] That's hard to answer without a picture. They may be scratching and feeding in some area like a mulch heap that might be dirty. I doubt that 'sad' is an emotion common to birds.

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] I agree, please post a photo and likely you'll get some ideas.

4. roosterlover897

roosterlover897 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2014
    maybe its because where the coop is built it may be muddy if there behavior changes than i would be concerned and if so post it in the forum diseases/cures/injuries

5. rica7

rica7 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2014
    ok there alright now i think they just went in the compost

6. rica7

rica7 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2014
    of coursse they can be sad! everything can be any emotion. there just like humans except probably a lot smarter! and it might be uncommon to well taken care of birds but they can be sad! why do you think they pou and stop laying eggs when one of there flock dies! because there sad

7. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I have seen chickens react with sadness and read many accounts of mourning chickens.

Fortunately the compost pile seems to be the source of you chickens' dirty faces. My chickens love to dig around in the dirt with their feet and beaks to find bugs. So dirty chicken faces are not unusual with my flock.

8. rica7

rica7 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2014
    yes! its good!haha

9. NacientNeedle

NacientNeedle Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2014
    Alas, I too have been troubled by the less-than-bucolic appearance of my 4 hens. They are scrawny white leg horns at best, but faithful layers who provide an egg a day. They have become quite dirty as they love to scratch around in both compost areas when they free range and hard dirt areas when they are in the run. I have wondered if I should try to bathe them - can you use a mild soap on them? Even their little beak & faces seem to be quite grimy. I'm not sure if they would appreciate a baby pool to walk around in. Any thoughts....

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by