why do my chickens have runny noses and eating their straw bedding?

Quacking ducks

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
May 31, 2019
Hi, The last couple weeks I have noticed that some of my chickens and ducks have had runny noses and have also been eating their straw bedding. what causes them to have runny noses? what can I do to help them? why are they wanting to eat their straw bedding? they can't be hungry because there is normally still feed in their food bowl. Thank you

Are they stuck in their coop? What feed do they eat? It could be allergies. It's best that they don't eat it but how much are they eating?
They have pine shavings in their coop and are only in the coop at night. When it cold out I will put some straw in their pen.

I have recently switched their feed from producer’s pride 16% layer feed to 20% layer feed at a local feed mill

Yes, I add brewers yeast (niacin), cayenne pepper, cinnamon, turmeric, dried thyme, oregano and rosemary to their food a couple times a week
I'm wondering if the spices are irritating their respiratory system. Such as the pepper and cinnamon.
None of of those spices will do anything for their health except perhaps the tumeric.

I'm wondering if the spices are irritating their respiratory system. Such as the pepper and cinnamon.
None of of those spices will do anything for their health except perhaps the tumeric.
Ok, I will try removing the pepper and cinnamon. Thanks

That seems very likely to me.

Chickens have VERY DELICATE respiratory systems. Yes, they can't *taste* capsaicin, but that doesn't mean it won't irritate them if inhaled as dust.

IMO, save the herbs and spices until you're ready to eat the birds. They don't need to be pre-seasoned. The best insurance of good health is a balanced diet, plenty of fresh air, and appropriate sanitation. :)

That seems very likely to me.

Chickens have VERY DELICATE respiratory systems. Yes, they can't *taste* capsaicin, but that doesn't mean it won't irritate them if inhaled as dust.

IMO, save the herbs and spices until you're ready to eat the birds. They don't need to be pre-seasoned. The best insurance of good health is a balanced diet, plenty of fresh air, and appropriate sanitation. :)
Sorry, nobody is eating my birds! They are pets and for eggs only. 😊

Back
Top Bottom