Why do my chickens holler and scream so much?

backyardkota

Hatching
12 Years
Jul 26, 2007
I have 4 hens (no rooster) and my girls holler and cry all during the day, at any given time, for no apparent reason. I dont want a rooster b/c of the noise, but these guys are worse than my neighbors barking dog. Sometimes they almost sound like geese honking. They have plenty of food and water. Any suggestions?

How old are they? If they have just started to lay, they will make a ruckus until they have settled down. Else, it could be something that is scaring them and they are calling out danger to everyone.

Have you noticed if they are quiet (or at least quieter) when they can't see you? Mine are pretty calm when we're not out there, but as soon as they see or hear us, they run to the fence and get really loud. Hot Rod sounds like a goose! I think they're just telling us they are ready for another snack.
smile.png

I put an old baby monitor out in my coop..
oh my the sounds they make...
my favourites are the purring, the trilling ( one at a time then all together) I sure do know the " what the heck is that??!!!" alarm call...
and especially the soft chatter I hear as they get ready for bed...
I really want to put a web cam out there..so i can see and listen.
anyone try that yet...........i love the chicken cam sites..hahaha

Love seeing those chickens in their roost boxes...
big_smile.png

Hencam.com is really fun to watch, even i have dial up connection
hmm.png

I've had the same experience with my new hens. We started with three, but the first morning one of them started up at 5:30am with the goose-honking thing. She went to a new home, and all got quiet.

This week though (second full week with them) they both started laying, which means that while one is quietly suffereing the other is honking it's head off. :)

I do keep ours locked in their small coop overnight, but they now start up around 6:00-6:30am each morning, and practically bust the door down when I try to open it (I have a small window, and they are frantically pecking it when they see me coming). I don't want to offend the neighbors, so I quickly throw my clothes on and go down and let them out into their run.

Today, though, that wasn't enough either, and so I had to let them out to free-range. I then went back to bed and never heard them again - oh, until egg-laying time.

Bottom line: You are probably like me, and expected this cute "bock bock bock" sound now and again. Instead, its "CluckCluckCluckCluckCluckBOOOOOOOCCCCCKKKKKCluckCluckCluckCluckCluckBOOOOOOOCCCCCCCKKKKK!!!" over and over.

Oh, they were doing it the other morning when I was out there, and the rabbits (two of them) were stomping their feet. As usual, i couldn't see a thing, but then caught a glimse of the neighbor cat peeking out from some bushes.

If it ain't one thing, it's another. Which reminds me, I need to get to bed - it won't be long and they'll be starting up again :).

-Dave

Quote:

Thought I'd offer a short video/audio clip of how my hens sound. This is during the egg laying process (why is the noisy one always the one who isn't laying?), but it's also how they sound in the morning when they want out of their coop.

:)

-Dave

I feel your pain, Dave!! I have a black rosecomb. Belgian d'Uccle, rosecombXd'uccle mix and a belgain d'anvers. They all cluck loudly like that when they lay an egg, sometimes they all cluck at once when someone lays an egg. Sometimes it drives me nuts cause they will go on and on and on.

:|

Quote:
Ironically, I'm sitting down to read this after one of my hens decided at 6:30am this morning to "crank 'er up" again. When i went out, the other hen was in working on laying her egg, so the best I can do is quietly entice the loud girl with some cherry tomatoes, a back rub, or just "shhhhh"-ing to try to take her mind off her friend.

Now she's out running around the backyard, staring in the sliding glass door, or chasing the visitor birds away from "her" birdseed feeder - but at least she's quiet!

-Dave

Back
Top Bottom