Why do my chickens keep dying?!?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mallorysinclair, Sep 29, 2011.

1. mallorysinclair

mallorysinclair Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    I've had three chickens die of the same symptoms several months apart. First they get lethargic, then they lose their balance and can't stand up, then they just lie down in a corner and a couple of days later die. They've all been different ages when it happens, from about 2 months old to 5 months old. Now my 6 month old pullet has the same symptoms. No nasal discharge or other respiratory symptoms. They all came from the same breeder (a small independent farmer). Any thoughts are appreciated!

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Do some research on Marek's.

What are you feeding them? Also, have you checked for mites and lice at night? Mites can suck a juvie dry---or make them so weak they can't fight off other illnesses.

3. flashover1969

flashover1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    I would check the environment/ feed/ water that the chickens have access to. Check for molds/fungus/ algae, parasites etc etc.

Did you have a necropsy done on the ones that died?

4. mallorysinclair

Apr 22, 2011
    I didn't have a necropsy done, but maybe I will if Arwen doesn't recover. The feed is fresh organic and from a local mill, so I hope that's not the problem. Thanks for your input!

5. shazza07

shazza07 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2011
    ive had a problem with one of my chicks she is 5 weeks old her toes were curling and she couldnt walk, i gave a supplement in the water with riboflavin and she recovered in just one day [​IMG]

6. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    it could be avian paramyxovirus. That causes mental problems which would explain the loss of balance, then they just drop dead. Like yours.

Not sure about treatment as it's only just reached australia, they are still trying to contain it. You can vaccinate them for it though

7. chic-a-deee

chic-a-deee Chillin' With My Peeps

Darn...Im in Australia!! I thought our quarantine procedures where top rate??? Hope it doesnt go to NSW!! [​IMG][​IMG]

8. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    I would go to the vet and find out about it.

Look it up, there has been an outbreak in pigeons in Victoria. Quarentine restrictions are looser for pigeons, probably because they're worth so much money (racing etc). It wipes out entire flocks.

Commercial farms are keeping their free range stock inside until the vaccine is shipped over. Are yours free range? Do you get wild birds in the run?

I would probably get them tested, they may not be able to save your flock but you could help prevent the spread if yours do have it.

9. mallorysinclair

Apr 22, 2011
    Thank you for your insights...she's free range so I'll look into it with our vet. : )

10. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:Hi, I'm so sorry. Although you can't rule anything out, and need a necropsy done to find out for sure, it does sound like Marek's. But could also be botulism, vitamin deficiency. In the meantime, I myself would buy a few bags of Layena or commercial feed- unmedicated- just to see if it makes a difference. There are no quality control checks for missing neccessities in private feed. It's a good thing to check just in case. If it's medicated feed, it can actually block thiamine from getting absorbed in the body.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by