Why do my chickens like pine wood-shavings?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jmockbee, Dec 21, 2016.

1. jmockbee

jmockbee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2014
    What is it about pine wood-shavings that makes my Buff Orps and Welsummer want to eat them?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Hungry?

Chickens are ravenous eaters and if they don't always have access to feed, they'll eat feces, shavings rocks, sticks, whatever.

3. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    A few of mine seem to like to nibble on them at specific locations (entrance of nest box is a favorite) but they always have food available and plenty to forage and dirt to dig through. Guess they're just weird that way.

4. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    My pullets would eat pine shavings even when I put them in the coop around 8 or 10 weeks. So I switched to straw and then to compressed straw. I believe its healthier for them to eat than pine shavings. GC

5. jmockbee

Apr 2, 2014
    Thank you for responding. Yes, I think they are hungry, but I have tried every assortment of feed and treats and they like these very briefly. They do range free in my good-sized yard, but still need supplements. I can tell when they are hungry buy the amount of digging they are doing.

6. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

I would think they should have access to commercial feed all the time.....

IDK, I am new here [​IMG]

Gary from Idyllwild Ca here

7. jmockbee

Apr 2, 2014
    That is interesting. My girls also like to nibble on the wood shavings at the entrance to the coop, especially when they are getting ready to roost for the night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by