1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why do my chickens make so much noise?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BuffsRus, Jun 28, 2010.

1. BuffsRus

BuffsRus New Egg

Apr 28, 2009
    Chico, CA
    We have three buff orpington hens and I can't figure out why they make so much noise! I can't tell if something sets them off or it's just the way they are. No one is complaining in the neighborhood. I'm just concerned they are needing something that I am not figuring out. Obviously, we are new to chickens. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

2. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    What kind of noises are they making? Do they sound like they are 'chatting'? Scared/Spooked? We need more info please!

Oh, and [​IMG]

3. crittersitter

crittersitter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Westchester County,NY
    How old are they? Mine started doing the bok bok bakawwww at 18 weeks. I had no idea they would be so loud. two weeks later i started getting eggs
    [​IMG]
    PS- My BO is the loudmouth of the group

4. BuffsRus

BuffsRus New Egg

Apr 28, 2009
    Chico, CA
    The girls are 1 1/2 years old and the noises are more bawk bawk and cackling. They seem like regular chicken nosies, not scared just chatty. They just seem to make a lot of it! Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by