Why do my chickens stay out after dark?

yolka doodle

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 7, 2012
Essex, England
Hi, I always thought chicken will no come out after the sun goes down? Wrong! as the nights are drawing in i get home just as its getting dark. I have 7 Chickens in a 14ft by 7ft shed and always let them out when i get home but the days are getting shorter and i open the shed door they come running out. I stay out there with them standing infront of the security light so they can see and they are not bothered at all thats its dark. I am in the process of getting a run attached so they can be out all day and then when i get home they can run around the garden but they never go in on their own i have to put them to bed. the shed door does have mesh on them so they do get day light and fresh air. They were previously in a smaller chicken house with a run but my shed was just sitting theer with junk in it so i decided to make it their new home.

Hi i think i hav ebeen told of for my previous post? is it because i used the word (girls) instead of chickens? So sorry :( I have changed it.

Last edited:
People use the word 'girls' all the time for their chooks, it is not reason for disciplinary action. If you were sent an e-mail with a disciplinary warning regarding your post, the best thing to do would be to privately contact the administrators and ask if there was an issue, and what it was, if any.

You can contact them via this link, using the private contact fields listed:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/feedback

Last edited:
People use the word 'girls' all the time for their chooks, it is not reason for disciplinary action. If you were sent an e-mail with a disciplinary warning regarding your post, the best thing to do would be to privately contact the administrators and ask if there was an issue, and what it was, if any.

You can contact them via this link, using the private contact fields listed:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/feedback
Hi
i did not get an email there was a message under my post "read forum rules before posting" probably nothing. Thanks for the reply :)

I suggest, they are fooled by the bright security Light, into thinking it is still Day. Turn it off, and study their Response.

I agree with above post. Chickens are like kids, give them an excuse (in this case security lights) to stay up they'll run all over the place! The lights will keep them up, especially when they hear you moving around, they'll run out to see what you're doing.

Hi, I was in the garden earlier with the security light on and it went off, i could not beleive what happened next a couple of chickens jumped up on the decking the light came on and they run off to peck at the grass, it was if they knew what they were doing it was so funny. They are like children they are so funny, i love them to bits. Hopefully i will get their run sorted soon. Thanks for your replies :)

Back
Top Bottom