Why do my Drakes "Run Off" hens?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TheTwoRoos, Jun 13, 2016.

1. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    I have 2 drakes,both Pekins.

They both are rough maters.

My one Drake who is about 3 years has had a pretty "Large" history of chasing the hens(As in female ducks).

last year we raised two ducklings who turned out to be one drake,1 girl.He seems to not like the fact that the hen liked the young drake better,so he raped,and abused "BOTH" of them.Now that the drake has grew up he has become a "Hit" to some of the hens (accept two of the Pekin girls.)The khaki Campbell he (I have two),likes him now.I noticed that any "hen who favors him,the 3 year old drake becomes territorial,and very hormonal and literally attacks the hens.The one little Khaki has been ran off atleast 36 times starting about a month ago (maybe).she once nothing to do with the 3 year old anymore,and is now "Frightened" of him.He is too large to mate with her,so she is just chased,bitten multiple times a day,we have decided to start putting her in a pen by herself,or even looking into getting her a new home.

Here we are today and the Khaki has not showed up.It seems like my boys get very "Jealous" when hens do not favor them,they fight eachother now.Also the younger drake chases both Pekin females they LOVE their big jumbo drake man.

Any clue as of why the boys do this?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Their behavior is hormonal.

Our job is to protect them all - no one ought to be abused. Sometimes splitting the flock temporarily will change the dynamic . . . it's a try and see kind of thing. But please, do protect each of your ducks.

3. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    Ok,do you think it may be competition?

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Could be competition, could just be orneriness.

But in any case, I feel it's the hormones raging.

5. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    Would more hens help?

6. Coyox

Coyox Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2016
    Belleville, MI
    I've never tried it personally---- but someone on this forum told me 6-7 hens per drake is best.

7. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    K,I just got 4 new ducklings who we were told were females,one is already beginning to quack very loudly everytime any of the others begin making a zoo about everything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by